Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Need Help with WF 4.0 photo rendering

Pat graphics

<ul>[*]I am a graphic designer/ illustrator for a prodcut design firm. My engineers use PROe to do all of the drawings and they just purchased the PROe photo rendering package for me. I have been going through the tutorials utilizing their drawings and they want me to turn these into realistic images. Without taking a class, where can I get help understanding how this package works. I have been working with their drawings but running into basic problems taking an entirely finished drawing and trying to select the surfaces to render. The only thing that happens is that the entire image changes and not the exact surface or part that I want. Is something turned off or on that shouldn't be? THANKS
[/list]

It's an iterative, variable dependent process.

You need to educate yourself on all the components: lights, rooms, appearances, effects, etc. You then need to experiment and find a starting point(s) comprised of a combination of these variables that you can save as your scene. You can use these scenes as your templates. When doing this and when tweaking scenes to fit around subsequent models, you must remember one important point: only change one variable at a time. This way you will know what specifically works and what doesn't. This is also why rendering takes so much time & expertise.

Above all, the most important thing is practice... hours, weeks, months. Get used to minutes seeming like hoursand weeks seeming like hours.

For a general overview on best practices, theories, & techniques not specific to any program, try this book: Digital Lighting & Rendering.

Also, Advanced Rendering Extension has completely changed in WF 5, and it's much, much better. You might not want to spend so much time now on the obsolete Photolux in WF 4 and upgrade this summer when production 5.0 comes out.

Thank you. The, "only change one variable at a time" actually is helpful. I realize how time consuming it is going to be when my engineers just dropped another drawing my way. 23,000 individual parts to make up the entire product. WOW. It looks like I will be spending some serious time learning this. Are there any pro-e rendering consultants out there that just render the final image?

mgnt8 said:
You need to educate yourself on all the components: lights, rooms, appearances, effects, etc.

Above all, the most important thing is practice... hours, weeks, months. Get used to minutes seeming like hoursand weeks seeming like hours.

OR you can get Hypershot and thank God that such a software exists :D

Paolo

zpaolo said:
OR you can get Hypershot and thank God that such a software exists :D

Paolo

I've still not tried Hypershot but, the way you folks have been talking it up, I guess I need to give it a try. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new mental rayish photolux. Not enough hours in the day

mgnt8 said:
I've still not tried Hypershot but, the way you folks have been talking it up, I guess I need to give it a try. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new mental rayish photolux. Not enough hours in the day

I suggest you check the demo, it also comes with some sample objects. You can see some renders on my website http://zpaolo.deviantart.com (done with the demo) or on Bunkspeed website. I must say WF5.0 rendering engine is much better than 4.0 but Hypershot... it's so easy... ok, it is making me lazy :D

Edited by: zpaolo

Thanks for the help. I am checking out your recommendations now. Nice work. I just downloaded Hypershot and am going to play with that this afternoon.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back