Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

3D PCB parts to Pro Engineer ?

smoothsax

We use PADS PCB laout for circuit design and Pro E / Pro Cable for our harnesses and electronical / mechanical layouts. We would like to have our PAS files translated into Pro E to show 3D components. Resistor, connectors, caps, etc. Is anyone doing this in their design? I know IDF are options, but I need a way to getting 3D data out of my PADS pcb program, without having to recreate 3D parts in Pro E. Let me know if you have suggestions.

Thanks..

Ray Iaea
Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab
smiley17.gif

Hi All,

I hava a similar problem.

We are using CADENCE as pcb layout software.

I can import emn+emp files but I haven't managed to create a pcb in pro-e, yet (which is in the same format as the cadence output).
The cadence file comes with x&y coordinates z=0 as the components are mounted onto the board, quite logic. However in pro-e I only managed to generate a pcb assembly x=0 and y&z coordinates, this causes a problem in cadence.

I "played" quite a bit with the E-CAD function already but there are some strange things going on.

Therefore I would really appreciate if anybody could upload a tutorial.

Many Thanks for your HELP.

<DIV>All,</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If I can be of any assistance with regard to generating 3D PCBs in Pro/E, do not hesitate to contact me. We have a library of pre-built 3D PCB components modeled in Pro/Engineer as well a tool that helps you create an ecad_hint.map file. Feel free to use the contact information below if you just have general Pro/ECAD/IDF questions or if you are interested in a demo that shows you how you can efficiently create 3D PCBs in Pro/E.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Keith</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Keith Richman
Simplified Solutions Inc.
410-420-7853 (United States)
[email protected]
http://www.simplifiedsolutionsinc.com</DIV>

Create a new part. Create an extrusion (any size) on XY plane. (look at your csys).Then go INSERT, Shared data from file, and select emp file. The extrusion will automatically change to the board size.

Place this new part in an assembly. Go to INSERT, SHARED DATA from file. Select emn file.

Hi all,

How do I get all updates into a smallexisting 3D PCB? When I originally created it I did not create an extrusion as sugessted above. I used a start model that has a default csys and the PCB cam in fine, so I thogut great and went on to create an a PCB assy. again all seemed to be working as expected.

Now I have to show sloted holes and component updates (two pin termainal screws to four pin terminal screws. once agin in the PCB part I do inseert; shared data from file. the four hole pattens come in but not the slotted holes. some pads come in where the slots should be (I guess the Pc guy uses them to locate the slots? did not ask).

The first time I insert the file I checked verifiy geometry and got a dialog where I could select to replace features or not. since the slots did not come in I did not save and started fresh, but noe the dialog window doe not give me an option to chage status on geomerty, it is set to replace and I can not change it.

I still can not get the slots to come, but when asked if I want to keep features created after the last import I say yes and redefine the slot locations (this time to my default datums so I do not need to redo every time Ithe PCB is updated. this is an ok work around but I would perfer to ghet he slots on import. Any ideas on how I should proceed?

The image below is prior to the update, the slots are for retaining a formed isolator sheet.

I think you might have to open the board on its own and do the import. If you do it in the assembly, the assembly only bring the parts in. ( I think) . ask the electrical guy to export the board as a emp file, and try to import that.
smiley5.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back