Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SHRINKWRAP

Fenners

I am currently building up axles in 3D and need to be able to shrinkwrap them in order to send to customers.

The axles themselves should not be so complicated that they would fail regeneration on even level 1 with merge solid, however they are derived from quiet a large family table. Would the fact that they are an instance of a large family table have any bearing on whether or not they would fail while trying to shrinkwrap them.

Does anyone have any ideas on what i could do to get the models to stop failing.

> Would the fact that they are an instance of a large family
> table have any bearing on whether or not they would fail
> while trying to shrinkwrap them.

No idea, really, but one wouldn't think so.

> Does anyone have any ideas on what i could
> do to get the models to stop failing.

Merging solid bodies can fail for all the reasons merging any solid
feature or set of closed quilts will fail. Model accuracy can play
a part, the types of coincident faces, ambiguous manifold edge
solutions (got any bearings in there?), Geometry Checks, etc.

Just out of curiosity; why do you want to merge assembly solid bodies?
I see this all the time on another forum and can't figure the reasons
there either (they seem to think it's a cure for all evils, though).

No we do not include the bearings in models to customers as they are not needed.

The reason behind merging the assemblies is so that individual parts cannot be measured, and no information can be taken from the models. For privacy reasons i guess!!!!

Is there another way of doing this?

Is that "I guess!!!!" or "I guess????"?

I have trouble wrapping my head around that, probably because I've
never seen it effectively demonstated. I don't know if it's my
lack of experience or ...? I do know I'd be miffed if someone
sent me a complex assy turned into one big all or nothing blob.

> Is there another way of doing this?

I don't think you're going to find a magic button solution. I don't
know how the real guys go about it but I'd look into Simp Reps and
Envelope parts along with Shrinkwraps.

The subject interests me and I think it warrants discussion (if memory
serves there has been some) and some demonstration or experimentation
(which I can't recall seeing offhand) would be worthwhile. Anyone have
a representative sample assembly on hand or seen something laying around
suitable for the purpose of thrashing out some creation and / or trouble
shooting techniques? Or links to existing articles and demonstration?

If you can access PTC KB it's probably worth the time to look but that
won't address 'how do most people do it given some specific type of assy?'.

I did some experimenting and found that assembly family table instances can be shrink-wrapped. Have you tried setting the quality level to a higher value? I have found that "level 1"results in shrink-wrapparts that are far too coarse for most purposes.

Another approach you could try would be to create a stand-alone copy of the axleinstance you would like to shrink-wrap. Then simplify this assembly as much as possible, by deleting internal components, prior to executing the command.

fenners

Shrinkwrap worked fine for me till ver. 2001. Since then it crushes to often as for my taste

I spent couple of hours some time ago dealing with all possible causes of failing the Shrinkwrap process. You know what? - there are a lot of...
smiley2.gif

the major cause of shrinkwrap failures is:

*Interferance between models- yea, I know, it happens always. Luckly not all components interferance provide SW to fail. The most popular is a surface of component 1 stuck in round surface of component 2.

*distance/intersection edge between surfaces from two different models is less then assembly/part accuracy

*different accuracy in components - Relative/Absolute

Merging these two surfaces is to much for Pro/E, so it ends with solidifying failure.

Solutions?

-suppress all 3D threads

-suppress all rounds less than 2 mm

-make a simp rep and get a rid off all componets that won`t be introduced with a final shrinkwrap model(usualy those are components assembled inside of the product, not visible form outside)

-perform an Interferance check. Step by step supress components that interferance with others and make a shrinkwrap. Finaly You will find those who cause SW to fail

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back