Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RSD Block Diagram PORTS

design-engine

I want to add a port to a block. I created a block. Basically its a small mother board with some locations on it for wires to be soldered. How do i add those port locations?I will figure it out but any help will be appreciated.
Edited by: design-engine

First you must to create a port shape on ports section in catalog, then edityour block shape and use "place new port instance".
Edited by: gabrielferaru

then to save it? One must save it to the current standard_catalog.pkg right?or package export?

And the Import Package Comparator...Is that where I would locate my saved block?

Should I draw my potential block/symbol in my drawing space like this or modify one that was previously created? I dont think the shape of my block matters just if the logical port names align to the references made in the Pro/ENGINEER assembly.

I drew my board with lines and some random port locations. (circles) To create the block/symbol you use the Catalog Explorer... switch to ports and choose the port locations. Okay works so far. I should be able to go to properties and see the port has been added right?

rsddiscussion01.jpg

I hope it's clear what I am trying to do?

I know how to place a block, modify it's properties etc. I want to either customize a block and add ports to it and save it off for later use. It is not clear what that procedure is.

I use the import/export facilities onlyfor transferringthe catalog shapes for connectors or electrical components from a project/design to another project/design. So, you don't have to export anything.

Import Package Comparator tool is useful onlyfor adapting electrical parameters between different projects/designs. All the shapes are stored in Catalog Explorer.

When you create a port shape,it's better to draw some lines (to give a shape) and mandatory toset a "component datum". My catalog explorer contains as ports, pins and sockets (that a use to create connectors or electricalcomponents).

Thanks so much for your help...

I thought enough that a component datum would be necessary....But once I drop in the port onto my block and turn the color purple (or what ever color) how do I read that back into the catalog so it is saved in my catalog? I presume that my motherboard model with the random ports needs to be saved off as a block complete with ports the other blocks in the PTC University examples?

So I can drop a port onto some lines that I draw... now how do I clump them all together and save off the board as a block/symbol? I guess it does not matter for one example but to set up a catalog for a company it would be necessary.

I am so glad your here to assist me!

As I can see in your picture you're trying to draw a block on a design sheet... not a good ideea. You must to be in a catalog sheet. Create a shape in catalog explorer, as block type and to edit that shape ->"open shape".

Would that be a sample board I guess with 10 female port locations.Open Shape from....

If I create a block how do I get those cool directory names like you got?

Actually, what u can see,it's a connector, female, with 10 pins (female_10p),but it can be also your board.

I don't understand yourquestion regarding directory... This is my way to organize the block shapes.

You have directories....
a/c - heating
cigarette lighter
control levers
diodes
fuses
glass_heaters
ground
lights
panels

Those are directories or folders. I want to create one called motherboards so to store different configurations like you have. Basically customize a company like you did for yourself.

Ok.

It's quite simple. Create"new folder"->"new item"->"new shape" (choose a template for this shape, in this case: NEWBLOCK)->"open shape"... A new window will open (catalog sheet) and here you can create or edit you board. After you're finished withediting, close the window, close the catalog explorer and save the design. That's all.

I am using RSD 5.0I don't see new folder.

I see 'Create New Design' and in the Catalog explorer I see 'create new block' (if you have blocks set) and create new port (if you have ports set)

Okay I see it. 'create new folder' next to 'create new port.

rsddescussion02.jpg

I go thru that procedure fine. Two more questions.

1 How do I make a purple hot node (wrong language) One Motherboard has a uniqe shape with 10 ports (holes for soldering wires and another has a slightly different shape with 20 holes for soldering wires.
rsddiscussion03.jpg

notice purple locations for making later fiber connections. That is what I meant by hot. Note small purple circle accepts the fiber routed wire with a tolerance or snap.

I did successfully create a block-symbol of my motherboard by using cut and paste but the ports are not hot or will not accept the fiber attachment. (I am short vocabulary)

2 How do I write a new standard_catalog.pkg for later? I want to customize this for the next user (or myself on a new design.

note the menu bar on the right. what are probes?

rsddiscussion04.jpg

Mouse pointers change when they near a port shape.And I obviously don't have a portshape placed correctly in catalog sheet

Still not sure what those icons are to the right up there. But i did successfully create a custom block and managed to store it complete with the hot ports like I wanted. It was harder than it needed to be but I learned quite a bit trying to complete this what should be simple task. Thanks so much for gabrielferaru for helping!

I would like to make note that the iconography in RSD could be organized better so new users (who know other software programs) can easily figure out how to customize their catalog.Maybe the newer versions of RSD is different?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back