Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Getting off of Wildfire 2 or lower

If you are still on Wildfire 2 or below, what will it take to move up?

• Enhancements that I can use

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Consistent interface across all modules

• Compatiability with 3rd party software

• Stabability in new releases

• Money to reactivate maintenance

• Total voters

extreme

Just curious why people are still on Wildfire 2 or below, and what it will take to move to a later release. I know that several companies are just now considering or planning to move to Wildfire 4, even though Wildfire 5 pre-production will be out in November.

I never consider using a new release until it has gone through several maintenance releases. Also, we skip at least every other major release. The benefits are too small for the effort & pain required to stay on the bleeding edge. I'll probably go from WF2 to WF4 about the time WF5 is in production.

What is causing us to upgrade to WF4 is out Database. We are moving from Product center to Windchill. The latest version of windchill isn't compatable with WF2 so we are being moved to 4.

We have been working on an upgrade from 2001 for 2 years. We discover a serious SPR that keeps us from doing what we need to in the software, and then sit back and wait for it to be fixed. We filed 3 SPR's.Some sheetmetal parts would fail, repeat region relations were messed up, and drawing exports were missing characters. These types of problems. Every one was verified by PTC, filed as an SPR, and eventually repaired. Also there was a huge drop in performance from 2001 to wf2. We are just now going to WF3. Its not fun paying all that maintenance, and not being able to upgrade. Wespecialize in automation. Thereis no room for glitches. Our customers want their order from us ASAP, and really don't care about our CAD issues. So until we can roll product out the door at the same or better speed, we stay on the system that satisfies our customers needs.

We haven't moved up yet due to compatability issues with other internal programs. When we jump, we will go to WF4 most likely.

Yeah I totally share the sentiments shared above. Half our company is still on WF2 while I try convince an upgrade to WF3. Even WF4 might be too buggy for us to jump to, but as soon as WF5 is released it will steal the SPR repair work focus.

PTC's trackrecord is prompting us to consider alternatives...

Most people I know including myself are second or third tier to other companies and we can not upgrade until our customers upgrade. I like to wait until most of the bugs are worked out so I will wait until after a couple revisions into a new build.

Krow72

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back