Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pay for ARX or other rendering software?

pro_eek

Does anyone have comparative render images to show the real life improvements ARX have over standard Pro/Photorender? That is apart fromimproved scene setup advantages etc.

I always have to spice up my Pro/Photorender images afterwards in Photoshop for best results. (Improve contrast, saturation, sharpness, fix buggy pixel scatter etc)

For the price of ARX, I could buy something like Autodesk Viz (3DS Max lite) or Maxwell Render. The only down side of course is that you lose associativity when exporting STL files for importing into Max. But I would still rather do this to get a "industrial design" look in my renders...

I'm not bashing PTC products, merely trying to have constructive discussions which may lead to software improvements of ARX and Photorender. (eg. after 20 000 people petitioned on a Dell forum, Dell was prompted to start shipping some of their PCs with Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows!)

I would say the render software that has came forward leaps and bounds over the last few months is Hypershot by Bunkspeed, I checked out the 15 day demo and was super impressed. The ease and simplicity required to create fantastic looking renders was commendable, and all for under

Do rendering capabilities improve going from basic pro/e to advanced assembly? We have an IT department that frowns on 3rd party programs & Accounting that frowns on unnecessary major upgrades.

Currently rendering for the fun of it.

We have ARX, I don't think it is worth the money compared to some of the other 3 rd party rendering software.

Let's start different topics for different rendering software. Otherwise this topic becomes bloated and we're back to square one with 1001 posts
smiley5.gif

I'll start a Bunkspeed Hypershot topic

kdjolly said:
Do rendering capabilities improve going from basic pro/e to advanced assembly?

I cant see why advanced assembly would help with rendering. The next step up within Pro/E for rendering is adding PTC'sARX (Advanced Rendering Extension)

kdjolly said:
Hmmm... Flamingo, Hypershot... time to surf.

Can you use Flamingo with Pro/E? Dont think so, its a plugin for Rhino. You'll need Rhino to run Flamingo which may not be worth it if you already run Pro/E.

thanks pro_eek!

I made a mistake by showing off some of my renderings in basic pro. I keep telling them that better renderings can be had withanother module. Maybe I can talk them into Advanced assembly, which we could use, but the advanced rendering module is more of a long term dream.

Why do they call it the Purchasing department when it's a room full of tight wads?

Hey folks, Hypershot is a good render, very easy to use and very fast. I used ARX and photorender for years, for the price of ARX and what it can doi wouldn't bother. Over the past year I have been using Modo and i find it excellent. Importing from proe is no problem using an obj file, and the surface quality is very good, i deal with a lot of ergonomic shapes and have no issues with triangulation.

The tutorials that come with it are very good to get you going and further tutorials only cost $25 or so.

Paddy

If your company wont spend money on a 3rd party program you just have to learn how to create realistic renders with ARX. The standard Photorender isn't worth the toilet paper I wipe my azz with.

ARX can make Photorealistic renders. Just gotta know how to use it.

8alxxkn.jpg

Edited by: CPiotrowski

Holy crap!!!!!!
smiley9.gif

CPiotrowski-

Sweet. I've seen your work before. Your mustang made my "wallpaper" folder!
smiley36.gif

Guess I'm going to have to "play" more. We mainly use wood. All the downloadable cherry, oak & maple bitmaps & jpegs seem to suk. Maybe Santa will bring a decent digital camera.

Thanks Jolly. Theres no doubt that there are way better rendering softwares out there but I kinda like using one program to do everything if possible. Digital cameras are the key to great materials but if you don't have one there are high res images out there of wood grain. The single page settings tutorial I made will achieve this render.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back