Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Core Pins

design-engine

I modeled a simple part and used top down design to remove the geometry (not using Pro/MOLD).There is a simple boss with a hole inside to accept a self tapping screw.The hole follows the 70percent rule and goes a bit past the material thickness.Anyway.... My core and cavity look great except how do I separate the core pin into a core pin part?

here is a picture...
part6001.jpg

part that created the moldbase image below\

partbase6001.jpg

moldbase core

I might be going about this the wrong way. I want to create the moldbase so when the part changes the mold base updates both core and cavity.Works okay on a small simple geometry. But when I start getting shut off, ejector pins, side action ect. I am not sure how to handle the other geometry.Any comments or help would be appreciated. Its not urgent or anything.
Edited by: design-engine

What I would do here Design is.....

Copy the surfaces of the geometry you want on the corepin. Then assemble a core pin where you would like it to be with extra lenght. The shape of the corepin is up to you. Use the surface you copied earlier to solidify the core pin. For the cut in the insert I revolve it or sometimes I have a quilt on the core pin to cut out of the mold insert cores. Either way works and I haven't reallydiscovered any advantages.

Bart

Also think about ejection. I would reccomend an ejector sleeve to kick out the boss. The core pin would be long enough to be mounted on the support plate of the ejector box. With the sleeve mounted in between the ejector plates. The top of the sleeve forms the bottom of the boss.

A better way to do this is: Assembly a core pin model as a Mold component and than use trim to ref part function in Pro/MOLD. This is a solid subtract and it reduces the number of references. The surface copy and solidify is fine but using Pro/Mold functionality is better.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I get it. Pro/MOLD is designed to do that stuff with core pins. I get it now. Maybe that will be my year 2009 resolution. Learn Pro/MOLDIts great users can never get board with Pro/ENGINEER... just keep on learning.I want to get a small CNC machine for the office next year too.

I want to get a small CNC machine for the office next year too

Oh a toy... If you can't drop at least 100k in a real cnc ...why bother.. sub it out

I want to use the CNC so I can play with Pro/MAN not to use carvewright software... although It looks inexpensive.Everyone at the Chicago office went to the Manufacturing show. I have been in Boston all week.
Edited by: design-engine

I pretty much thought that you might want to do something along those line.. the cravewright/ sears machine.. from what I have seen software wise, it's raster based graphics , not vector.. you can give the jpg/bmp some projection.. tweak it

If you haven't ever been to the IMTS show , you really want to check it out some time... some really cool machines and some hot babes handing out lit. :)

How much are you thinking of spending?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back