Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spherical diameter tolerance

ClayP

Does anyone know how I can put an S in front of the diameter symbol in my geometric tolerance? This is to indicate that my center of gravity has a spherical diameter tolerance of XXXX.

Thanks

I am assuming you are using a true position geometric tolerance. According to my book on GD&T, true position has to be applied to a feature of size which would not include a CG. Ignoring that little concern, I can understand your concept but I have never seen a spherical zone & I can find no example.

If you are sure you want to do it I think you are going to have to fake it in Pro/E. You can make a note using @[text@]@[moretext@] to make any kind of illegal geometric tolerance you want.

Would a spherical tolerance zone be implied in this case since it is the position of a single point?

AUDCTRL:

it might be implied but Lockheed Martin wants it to appear as in the ASME Y14.5M standard - with an S then diameter symbol, then tolerance value

DR_GALLUP:

Thanks for the post - I was figuring thatI would need to cheat it but I didnt know the code - it works great!

I've only seen one example with this applied and it doesn't seem to be very common. The exapmle was of something that resembled a ball joint for a suspension or the ball of a trailer hitch. The only way to get the S in the frame using the tolerance dialog box is to use WF4. PTC added some boxes for adding additional textbefore the tolerance frame and for adding prefixes and suffixes.

dr_gallup,

If you have access to the ASME Y14.5M standard take a look at page 155. It has an example of locating a spherical feature with positional tolerancing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back