Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Automatic c of g csys

biff

It's been a while since I have done this and i can't remember how to do it.

I have an assembly and i want to create a csys that automatically repositions to the c of g every time a part is modified or added to the assembly.

thanks

wish I had AAX

so, You should create Analisys as a feature > Insert > Model Datum > Analisys

then name Your analisys, choose to be updated after each regeneration, put it as footnote, or something like that then Model Analisys > Assembly Mass > Next > Scroll down results, look for points(datums) and there You should find COG, or just choose possiblilty to crate Csys in this point

I do not remmenber this 100% either
smiley9.gif

check the mass properties of the part or assembly. the cg will be shown as coordinates. then make a datum point yourself at the same coordinates.

cheers,

M

It will depend on the version you are using. In WF2 you do it the way muadib3d described above. In WF3 select Analysis>Model>Mass Poperties. In the drop downlist at the bottom of the dialog box select feature. Select the feature tab and under Regenerate select always and under datum select the COG type (point or csys). I'm not sure about WF4.

thanks, i found that, when i try to use the datums, it is greyed out so can't select cog type.

All you need to do is select Feature in the drop down at the bottom and go to the Feature tab and the Parameters and Datums should be selectable.

If you can't select Feature from the drop down I think it's because you don't have a license that supports the Advanced Assembly Extension as muadib3d pointed out in his post.

That's odd. I don't think there are any parameters that control it. I've included a picture just in case I've misunderstood what you are talking about.

If you don't have AAX I could send you a UDF that will place the model analysis as a last feature. You can then rename the UDF or leave it as it is and make a mapkey that will automaticall place it. I do know by default that the COG co-ordinate system and datum point are not created by default in Pro/E - you have to redefine the feature and turn the entities on (you can't redefine unless you have AAX but the UDF I send would have them turned on).

Phil

If you don't have AAX you can always do it the traditional way

To use its simplest form, create another assy coordinate system "offset" from the default ACS0 in the x, y and z directions and enter relations equivalent to the following.

$COG_X = mp_cg_x("","ACS0","")
$COG_Y = mp_cg_y("","ACS0","")
$COG_Z = mp_cg_z("","ACS0","")

Admittedly you have to do a manual model analysis and regenerate to get these dimensions to update the location of the second coordinate system but it is not hard to write a mapkey and then define a toolbar button to use this mapkey if you want to use it repeatedly.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

When creating the analysis feature and you wish the analysis feature to create either a point or csys entity, you need to click the eyeglass' icon and perform the analysis before the entity creation menus will become available.

Edit: After all it can't place the point or csys until it knows where they will be placed.

Edited by: gkbeer

Hi guys, thanks for all the input.

I have just had PTC confirm that I need the behavioral modeller.

As I said, I do have AAX.

It's quite annoying that I have AAX and can't do something so simple as use that facility.

hi,

go to>insert analysis>modelanalysis>next>compute>close

two options are there 1)Result params 2)result datums

result datums>csys_cog>create>yes

you can c the model CG.

also ref image

otherwise

save the analysis with active result params,

make a new co-system

relate the new co-system with the old one by relations and

params(those derived frm analysis result)

try out..

Edited by: alli_zona

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back