Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

welding in assemble

zahid_shanamo

hi friends,

please let me know how a solid weld (as real) can be shown in an assembly with the all welding parameters.

please provide the detail guideline regarding welding. i will be much thankful for the help.

with thanks,

zahid_shanamo

I dont think so that you can show a solid weld with all perameters. It shown like a quilt always. But I am not sure as I did weld designs just a few times. May it be possible.

It is shown as a quilt. However there is an option in config.dtl (crosssection weld solid or something to that effect) which should be set to Yes.
I think it is Xsec_weld_solid.
With the option set to Yes, you can see solid welds in DRAWING.

What a rip-off. We must be missing something. You should be able to see the weld path in the model other than a quilt. How can an engineer demostrate the "real life" part look for the marketing people?

For Bart Solidworks is better in this aspect! HaHa!

Sonics

There is no Solid Weld feature with PRO/WELD. You have the option of Surface (Quilt) or Light Weight (which is a curve that is placed where the Weld would be).

Each of the two options has (or can have) mass properties assigned, weld symbols, and be shown on a drawing.

FYI....With WF5, PRO/WELD has been totally re-written to be easier (user friendly) to use and understand, with some added functionality. There was talk of implementing a Solid Weld feature (like the quilt and light weight), but it did not make the release in time.

I have been making solid welds as separate parts since about R2 (two). I have never used Pro/Weld even though we evidently have a license. You can make all the ISO weld symbols in drawing mode. What advantage does Pro/Weld offer?

Pro/Weld should show the actual welds in my opinion for a couple of reasons. As I stated earlier it would be nice for producing model like pictures for marketing reasons. Other reasons might be if your worried about a weld interfering with another feature the model can highlight these concerns. I know you should be able to dimension your welds close enough to avoid this in the detail drawing but it still would be nice to be able to see it as well.The last would be Mechanica but I'm out of my league on the one, because I don't know if Pro-E is powerful enough to consider welds in FEA.

Sonics

I took a class on Mechanica and from what I can recall the only only weld analysis it was capable of was spot weld analysis.

Here is a drawing of an assembly with two solid model welds. I removed all the notes & dimensions as that could be rather confidential. What do welds look like in drawings using Pro/WELD?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back