Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

copy parts and drawings (windows copy)

bhanu_gs

hi all.
I have many standered parts ,only i need to do is copy the model and vary its dimensions.BUt if i copy the associated drawinG and if i change the model name. I cant open the associated drawing error message will come..IS there anyway to avoid that so that It will save time for me (drafting and detailing again will be reduced).
thanks in advance.

Firstly welcome to the forum !!!
smiley1.gif

I do it thus....

Create FAMILY of parts.... You do not have to copy the model, rename.....and so on....

Create a drawing for the general part.....

Use this drawing as a template for the Family part drawings...

Ref. to the following links for your study... could be useful.

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34 053&KW=srinivasaniyer1[/url]

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27 270&KW=srinivasaniyer1[/url]

If you have a drawing and a related model you CANNOT simply rename both files through Windows Explorer. You may rename the drawing only BUT you need to open up the drawing into a Pro/E session, rename the model (in session and on disk) and MAKE SURE you save your drawing.

SRINIVASANIYER1 is correct when he says use family tables as much as possible. You can simply replace the model in your drawing, rename the drawing (in session only if you're not using Intralink) and save the drawing to disk.

If you're using Intralink or other data management, I understand that family tables can drive you nuts. Don't use it, but I hear lots of folks complaining about it.

A simple way to create a duplicate of a part and it's drawing is this:
<UL>
<LI>Open the drawing in Pro|E</LI>
<LI>Click File -> Save As to save a copy of the drawing to a new name.</LI>
<LI>Close the old drawing</LI>
<LI>Click File -> Erase -> Not Displayed to remove it from memory</LI>
<LI>Open the new drawing. NOTE: It is still associated with the OLD model.</LI>
<LI>Open the drawing model.</LI>
<LI>Click File -> Rename and in the pop up dialog make sure you pick 'Rename In Session'.</LI>
<LI>Type a new name and select OK.</LI>
<LI>Return to the drawing and save it.</LI>[/list]

You now have a duplicate drawing and model.

dgs,

why not just open the drawing and model and rename both of them "In Session", then save the drawing and you're done.

skraba said:
dgs,

why not just open the drawing and model and rename both of them "In Session", then save the drawing and you're done.

Yeah, I guess that's a bit easier isn't it?
smiley9.gif

There is a slight risk doing the 'in session' renaming that you'll botch up the name of the original, but if you pay attention you'll be fine. Same risk with my original method, but you only do it once.
Edited by: dgs

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back