Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

design/mold mfg lead time

jogars1965

I am a mold designer designing average to complex single cavity, 2~4 slides diecast mold for 135~350ton machine. my mold design covers splitting, core/mold design, mold assembly, electrode design, cavity and electrode toolpathing, and mfg drawings all in ProE. With the advent of new technologies what is the acceptable design lead time for this process, and what is the acceptable mold manufacturing lead time now adays? Can anybody give me some ideas.

Hi jogars,

Not a day goesby when my factory is not working on or laying down new tooling from the designs I give them. These range from Injection Mouldings to Die-Castings.

Obviously complexity of the design/part hasa say in scheduling lead times. What I can tell you though, is that as a general rule of thumb with my supplier is that I expect to see first-off tool samples within 12 - 16 weeks. Some of the less complicated objects will often reach my desk within 8-10 weeks and a more complex die with side core movement etc could be upto 24 weeks.

As usual with tooling, you can never tell if/when its going to go bad lol, sometimes there are exeptions to my general rule of thumb
smiley36.gif

thanks for your reply, I was just wondering if I am stillcompetitive enough as manufacturing leadtimes of moldsare now becoming less and less with the coming of new technologies

Hi Skint,

I agree that the manufacturing leadtime depends on the complexity of the design part as well as the mold design itself, but if we just put into consideration the mold design alone, excluding the total mold manufacturing time, what would be theacceptable and competitivelead time in designing molds be it simple or complex?

For me the typical leadtime for design is 1-2 weeks this includes 3d mold design and drawings. Electrodes are done in the shop during the tool build. Total leadtime is usally 5-8 weeks with only complex jobs in the 12-14 weeks...

Hope this helps...

I don't think you need so long time to make the tooling. we only need 2 or 3 days for some simple product tooling design, we only need 4-5 days for middle complex tooling. one people make the assembly drawing (drawing the structure of tooling) and another one split inset, slide ....and a team member to make the drawing. you can purchase the steel and moldbase of toolingafte finish split and assembly drawing. then another team to make the NC program and electrode. the lead time for one simple tooling is 2-3 weeks nomally, and middle complex tooling is 4 weeks, and hot ruuner tooling is 5 weeks nomally.

they only need 15 days to make the toolings of whole project of hand phone in FOXCONN of China. And the tooling of guide light of handphone only have 7 days for you making tooling.

wy9515301,

are you building mobile phones at foxconn? I was doing those at a competitor I consider mobile phones a special case since the development times are greatly shortened due to competition. Nothing like working 15 hour days trying to crank out all the a,b,c,d,e covers huh. I don't miss that
smiley4.gif

jogars1965,

4-6 weeks for tooling is what my previous company quoted. That would achieve mold design, and off tool parts. I rarely saw a first off tool part that was perfect so there were often stages of modification and or addition of texture. Defining the number of cavities and ordering the steel is a good way to get ahead once the 3d design is nearly done. can we say E.S.I?

cheers,

M

jogars1965 said:
I am a mold designer designing average to complex single cavity, 2~4 slides diecast mold for 135~350ton machine. my mold design covers splitting, core/mold design, mold assembly, electrode design, cavity and electrode toolpathing, and mfg drawings all in ProE. With the advent of new technologies what is the acceptable design lead time for this process, and what is the acceptable mold manufacturing lead time now adays? Can anybody give me some ideas.

Dude that is a load.......... You got three weeks before you can take on another project easily....

hi tom,

Ya it's tough but rewarding, you have nobody to blame but yourself if your design fails. Simple mold usally takes me 1 to 2 weeks to complete and a complex one with 4 slides takes me 3 to 4 weeks. just as close as you have estimated.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back