Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solid Edge

michael3130

Hi everyone,

I may be changing jobs and the new compnay uses SolidEdge.

I have been using SolidWorks for 9 years and ProE for 5 years. How does SolidEdge compare. I don't want this to turn into a post complaining about any software packages as we all have our preferences, I would just like some points on how what it is like to use and similarites and differences.

Thanks in advance

Hi michael3130,

Several years ago I did the tech support for part of Belgian Solid Edge and Solid Works users.

Both are very similar, even so similar it was sometimes identical.

I don't know how the evolution in SE went on, but is was then still growing fine to become a complete 3D program.

As far as I can judge, SE was a bit more intuitive as SW. But the icons and way to work out a model are very similar.

And if you have as many years experience in 3D, there should be no problem, the step to SE is smaller then from SW to ProE.

A few years ago I got a temp job at a company with Solid Edge. Based on my ProE experience - more than 5 years at that time- I was able to cach up in about 2-3 weeks without any extra training.
ProE belongs to a high end 3d package, Solid Edge it's like a simplified version of Unigraphics, so you should be fine. In my opinion it's easier to learn SEdge from ProE than viceversa.
I do recommend to take some extra time and go through SEdge/Help section to get familiar with basic steps.

Good luck,
bureaadr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back