Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketcher - how to find open profiles ?

tedi222

Hello all Pro/E members.

Please help me find some solution forshowing open profiles in skatcher . You find this situation when you want to exit skatcher and your profile is not closed .

Thanks a lot for your help.

I am on WF2. It is a pain....

Pan the screen for the graphics to be on one side.

Close the feature bar..

Now when the error message appears RIGHT IN THE CENTER where you normally would have your graphics, Look for the RED BLIPS on the sketch.

Use Trim tool to close the sketch.

You are right SRINIVASANIYER1<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

But it works only when the gap is small and you have only 1 profile opened . Is there no other way to do this ? In Catia it is so simple . <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

If anybody have other idea it would be helpful<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

Thanks<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]

Go to WF4, there is a new " Find Open Ends " Icon which makes all the open ends visible. You can also preview if your sketch is closed or not with shaded areas.

Vast improvement for WF4.

Often there will be a weak dim (are they being displayed?) or a 'stange'
constraint that will indicate a discontinuity.

Sometimes the discontinuity can be found by trying to drag vertices or
modifying existing dimensions.

I have resorted to window selecting all geometry, converting to construction,
put a circle in the sketch, return from Sketcher, change the feature to a
Surface, go back to Sketcher, kill the circle, window select and convert back
to solid (doesn't take a lot longer to do than to describe), return and look
for the one sided edges in the feature.

To be honest, while it gave me fits before I learned what to watch for while
creating the geometry I rarely have problems any longer, but I'm not usually
sketching something like a really complicated extrusion die profile. It would
be interesting to see something representative. Not an Acad import someone
else did is it? ;^)

This is one major PITA 'feature'of ProE (I'm using WF2). They should have fired the person who made the sketcher so malfunctioning that it creates these gaps so often.
smiley7.gif

Anyway, I also look for red blips in the sketch and also try to close gaps by simply trimming each and every corner/intersection from BOTH sides or use point on and tangency constraints to make sure the connected ends of curves are really joined...

Zestje said:
They should have fired the person who made the sketcher so malfunctioning that it creates these gaps so often.
smiley7.gif
smiley36.gif

To circumvent the problem, (often occurs with imported sketch), It is advisable to import the sketch as it is (without creating a solid feature) and then create multiple features to get the desired output. I find this manageable.

Unfortunately the problems occur in any sketch, not jst mainly in imported sketches.

Importing sketches is also quite buggy, because ProE will sometimes set other dimension as the ones I saved the sketch with. I mean the curve geometry is correct, but the curves are dimensioned differently...
smiley11.gif

> Importing sketches is also quite buggy,
> because ProE will sometimes set other
> dimension as the ones I saved the sketch with.

I don't think saved sections were what was meant by "imported".
(And I've never seen a 'good' saved section come in with loop
discontinuities.)

... "set other dimension as" ...

Going off topic, aren't we?
Is it "buggy" or something we don't understand that makes that happen?

I'd still like to see one that represents the problem being discussed.
Are we sketching the coastline of Norway or some 'mechanical' object?

Now you said it Jeff, forget norway .. what about the glode ?
smiley36.gif

Heres a sketch I did earlier, autocad & pro-e sketcher work. Imagine the issues that could of happened importing this into sketch huh ?
smiley4.gif

> Imagine the issues

I have no problem imaging there'd be issues with that.
smiley1.gif

It's beautiful.
Edited by: jeff4136

Positive Thinking is/was one of our company`s marketting strap-lines. This image was used to create a two-part Mirror for a display room. The "land mass area" is a full mirror, the "sea" is a layer beneath the land mass and is a frosted effect.

The final product looks great ( and weighs a LOT lol )..complete part is 1.5 meters long! You know what went through my mind when the supplier said " The data has to be in CAD format to enable us to produce it". haha
smiley18.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back