Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

dragging components in assembly

kelveh

Hi,

I made an assembly - a robotic arm with many pin joints. When i get my drag components tool and select a component and try to move it, the whole assembly goes crazy because the component is moving relative to another component and not the assembly. I have the coordinate system of the first link of the robot welded to the assembly coordinate system so i thought that that part should stay still when i drag other links of the robot.

How do i get the first link to stay still while i move the other links?

I am using WF3

I've looked thru some of the threads in this forum but it isn't mentioned there and this problem has been driving me crazy

Thanks in advance,
Kelvin

Kelvin,

A robot having 6 degrees of freedom it will definitely go crazy unless constraints are applied. I had a similar problem and If I remember correctly, I constrained a few axis while dragging to create snapshots.

That was a 6-axis welding robot on WF2.

Hey,

Thanks for ur help.

My robot has 6 DOF. i suppressed 5 parts so that it has 1 DOF to see if it would be stable and it was fine. i resumed one so it was 2DOF and it was still good. i resumed one by one till the end and it's not going crazy anymore :) strange

That is because, for a mechanism to work you need 4 linkages. assuming the arms to be linkages, you can have at the most 4. The moment you add one more, you will have to apply constraints, for it to be defined as a mechanism.

I dont exactly remember the the equation.... studied some 26 years ago
smiley1.gif
... forgot.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back