Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

limits in a (family)table

Indusign

I have a family table of simplified models of our cranes, with all the types we have. Now I want to add the working angles for these models in a table so that I can use them for the limits in mecanism.

Or is this a step to far for the WF2 version?? (or evena newer version)

Anybody got an idea?

let me try,

You can have one limit for one connection in wf2,3, and so on...

But you can makemany manysnapshots which you can use in the drawing.

That means different positions (within your limits of connection) can be displayed in the drawing.

Hope that helps,
smiley2.gif
(by the way we produce also earthmoving machines, and we have this solution for our kinematics)

Hello Ankarali,

I know you can make snapshots of all the different positions, but that's not the sollution I'm looking for.

I don't want to use the positions in drawings, but in "on screen"demonstrations for customers, so don't want to change the whole set of limits everytime I replace a model by another one.

Or is there a way to replace the values in those limits by some variable ? Then I can use that variable in the family table or even in relations.
Edited by: Indusign

Ok,,,,

Than i suggest you to solve the problem with DAO=Design Animation Option

Although i never have done anything with it, i know you can make some reall nice

simulations, pictures, and animations ,

Done aynthing with it ???

Sorry so far from me....

Let me explain what I want a bit more clearly :

To give our customers an impression of the line of sight they will have from the cabin, to see what area the crane covers, what the possible points of attention there may be,.... I make a simplified lay-out of the warf,factory, scrap yard, harbour... where the crane will be. Then with the "replace by family member" I can switch real fast from one model to another. But as not all the models have the same working angles, I need to change these angles everytime the model changes.

If these angles that are defined by the limits in mecanism, can be in the family table, then the whole proces of changing limits is not needed anymore
Edited by: Indusign

Indusign,

I tried setting up family tables with the mechanism package but I couldn't get it to work.

In the past, I have set up assemblies without using the mechanism but putting in the dimensions (angles or lengths) that I want to vary. These can then be changed using a design table. Give that a go instead though I know it's not ideal.

Michael

I have not used it, but I believe it is possible to have parameters in joint limits in either WF3 or WF4. It had been something I kept asking for to the mechanism technical committee.

It is possible. Just add columns in your family table, select parameter and select <Connection>in the <Look In> drop-down list.Pick the connectionand it

Hello Pro_javi,

I can't seem to find the "connection" in the drop down list.

We are working here with WF2. Maybe it's possible in a newer version of ProE, but we won't be changing soon.

Thanks anyway for this sollution,

Indusign said:
Hello Pro_javi,

I can't seem to find the "connection" in the drop down list.

We are working here with WF2. Maybe it's possible in a newer version of ProE, but we won't be changing soon.

Thanks anyway for this sollution,

Indusign, I don

In WF2 you could create datums which control the working angle limits and reference your connections to these. Then for example add the datum angle values to the family table.

Brenyw

Thanks everybody for the proposed sollutions.

But I'm afraid none will work for us here. Might have to "push" a bit for a newer version.

Have you try to make a curve and points. With curve and points you can limit the movement. I know that this is not as goos you controlling the limmit direct. In a family table or flex.comp. you can then change the lenght of the curve

I haven't try it but I think this should work.

Anyway a upgrade is a good idea. Now WF4 is out and Wf2 is the 2 version back.

Hello jnoval,

That could work, using aslot-follower connection on the ends of stick and boom.

Will need to re-attach the connections and put some curves in the generic, curves driven by variables in the family table.

Thanks
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back