Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

FEM USING Pro/E

Yes, you need a Pro/MECHANICA license. If you open a part and then select 'Applications' and 'Mechanica' you will see if you have a license or not.

You will need to get the right version to match Pro/E and I think it is best to run without Intralink.

best of luck!

Ian.

Ian,

Do you know if it will work with the student version of Pro/E and Pro/Mechanica?

Thanks

Gary Osterholt

Gary,

I don't think the models are interchangeable between the student edition and the commercial edition.

If the two are not compatable you might be able to export the model and import it to standalone Mechanica.

Ian.

You can get Pro/E Student Edition AND Pro/M Student Edition as a bundle for US$150 from www.proestudent.com

However, I believe the SE files are not compatible with full commercial licences.

Well worth a look!

Thanks Guys,

Here's the thing.

I have the Student Version of both already. Version 2001.

Both are installed.

When I click the FEM Mode tab, and the Structure.

It says go to the www.ptc.com website.

Do I have to buy something else?

Thanks

Gary Osterholt

I think the FEM tab is for Pro/Mechanica in INDEPENDENT mode, which is NOT included in the SE bundle. (In the commercial package, this lets you manually build meshes, as well as various other advanced options not included in Integrated Mode, which is all you get in SE.)

To perform a stress analysis, the steps are:

a) Switch to Mechanica | Structural (or Thermal, or whatever type of analysis you want to perform).

b) Define material properties, loads, constraints, etc

c) Set up the analysis or Design Study that you want to run, then analyse, and go to Results.

All steps are undertaken inside the Pro/Engineer user interface.

I strongly suggest you go through the Pro/Mechanica Tutorial that you should have received on a separate CD-ROM with the SE bundle. This will take you through several good examples.

Hope this helps.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back