Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

J-link-interlinking pro/e with webportal

kumar

<DIV>Hi,</DIV>
<DIV>1. I need to integrate pro/e with webportal may be using J-link option, which is available in pro/e</DIV>
<DIV>2. Lets us assume that "X"-company manufacture a cube of size a,b,c(Variable)</DIV>
<DIV>3. Customer of a X-company logs on to the webportal of X-company and customer request for a cube of size a,b,c(Variable sizes)</DIV>
<DIV>4. After saying OK in webportal, pro/e should invoked automatically in the backend & run based on the inputs driven from web portal. </DIV>
<DIV>5. We know how to create family table or relation to suit the requirement</DIV>
<DIV>6. After successful generation of model and drawing, pro/e should generate drawings in PDF format also. This we will do it using a mapkey.</DIV>
<DIV>7. After the backend processing, customer, who is waiting in the webportal should get PDF drawing with BOM</DIV>
<DIV>If any one knows, pl. let me know</DIV>

Have you looked into Pro/Web.Link? Pro/Web.Link is available in Pro/E as well and is a bit easier to program and setup, because it uses HTML & JavaScript. Certainly Web.Link can handle the automation of Pro/E stuff and PDF printing, etc.

As far as the issue of having Pro/E automatically open via the web portal you may have to look into that one seperately as I am not certain if there is a way tolaunch Pro/E in the background usingPro/Web.Link but it is possible to do (maybedo that portion using another method thenactivate the Pro/E stuffvia Web.Link).

Another thought might be just having the customer go to webportal and enter in the variables into webpage which then could be output to a text and/or data file on the network that a designer could then import into a running session of Pro/E and directly into a Pro/Web.Link page. This may also be better in case your script failed for some reason thus not affectively outputting back to the customer on the webportal. You could simply take the customer's e-mail address via a webportal form and e-mail them the resulting PDF and BOM output afterwards. It's aslightly manual process, but one that just about anyone could handle even a non-designer/engineer.Just a thought.

Thanks Mr. G Cook

I learnt from PTC guys that weblink is only used in intralink and this cannot be used for interlinlking with webportal. In their view J-link is the most preffered way of connecting Pro/e and web-portal. I am still not clear, which one we have to use for interlinking.

Reg

Kumar

[email protected]

I believe when you are referring to"Intralink" you mean "Pro/Intralink". If so the people you talked to ("PTC guys")are not correct.

Jlink and Pro/Web.Link are both API's that are built on top of the Pro/Toolkit capabilities of Pro/Engineer. Pro/Intralink is a databasing and workgroup software to manage the files created by Pro/E. Pro/Web.Link has nothing to do with Pro/Intralink (generally speaking). You can use Pro/Web.Link without Pro/Intralink. In fact, i've been doing that everyday (both with and without Intralink) to do other types of tasks, like automating 3D model and drawing tasks.

As far as using Jlink...I'm not saying that you couldn't use it...I'm just saying that since Pro/Web.Link is based on html & javascript & is easier to use that it makes most sense to use it for your application.

With the exception of the launching Pro/E portion of your example (which I'm not certain can't be done), Pro/Web.Link can certainly handle the other stuff you asked for it to do, so I thought it would be a viable solution for you to consider. In fact I think its something I would strongly recommend you look into further.

Of course maybe I misunderstood your meaning of "webportal" also, but I'm assuming I have that right at least.
smiley1.gif

I did similar for a stair case manufacturer using Outlook Macros, and a special codeword email. Did full on cutting lists, production drawings, solid models ( assembly files ) etc.

This then forwarded a PDF after running a Trail File I'd written.

It was relatively easy to do, and seemed to be stable enough, though I think I'll get jip on this forum for suggesting such a method!

-AS

Thanks Mr. Cook and Mr. Andysuth,

I will explore the possibilities in J-link and Weblink.

Thanks

Reg

Kumar

Let us know how you get on, this strand may be stumbled across by someone with a similar problem in the future, and it would help them if you say how oyu achieved the solution.

-AS

J-Link documentation and examples can be found in the "jlink" folder
in the Pro/ENGINEER install. There is a PDF file containing all of
the documentation, but the web based docs (in the jlinkdoc folder)
are much more useful. Some of the J-Link classes are well documented,
others only minimally, but the amount of examples is low.

Here's an article by J.D. Felkins about J-Link:
http://www.profilesmagazine.com/p39/felkins.html

With regard to the original question in this thread, if you're trying
to do batch processing, Pro/WebLink is not the solution for you. It
would be extraordinarily difficult to use it in a batch mode, not
impossible, just very, very difficult.

One (or more) of these will solve your problem: J-Link, Pro/Toolkit,
trail files. Which you use depends on what needs to happen with
Pro/ENGINEER, the platform you're working with, and whether you have
access to and familiarity with Pro/Toolkit.

If you are opening models in Pro/ENGINEER and then changing values,
J-Link and/or trail files might be enough. If you are creating drawings
from scratch, or creating or manipulating features, you might need
Pro/Toolkit.

It would seem that J-Link applications would be more easily integrated
with a java based web platform. Ideally, this shouldn't really matter.

If you don't already have Pro/Toolkit, my suggestion would be to investigate
the documentation or consult with a 3rd party (there are many out there) to
see if your application can be created using J-Link. Use that as your
starting point.

Pro/WebLink is a good fit as a rapid prototyping environment for J-Link
programs, because it is easy to create programs quickly and the resulting
code is very similar, though not exactly the same. In the long run, it
would not be viable for your production application.

Marcmettes thanks for guidance but can you tell me, is there advanced JAVA knowledge is required to do customization.

I will try by using jlink documentation. also link is useful.

J-Link requires only basic experience with Java. If you don't know any Java
at all, you'll be a little frustrated at first. However, Java is very easy
to learn and you'll know enough where you can do almost anything you need to
with J-Link. There are a huge number of Java examples accessible via your
favorite search engine.

The hard part with J-Link is getting started and learning the J-Link API.
Once you get started, if you have specific questions, just post to this forum.
There are plenty of developers here who can help you.

Actually I have basic knowledge of C & C++, So i know about syntax and about programming. So does this helps me to learn JAVA?

If you are comfortable with C++, learning Java will be very easy as they are very,
very similar. If you don't already have an IDE, get something like Netbeans
(www.netbeans.org). I don't use it myself, but others have found that it helps
when learning java.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back