Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF3 Mechanism Tutorial

ljcasey

Hi Im looking for a WF3 mechanism tutorial (not on ptc site, I dont have maintenance anymore)

I have tried one for WF2 but i cant seem to get it working.

Below is what I am trying to do....

rotation.jpg

I want the rectangle to rotate around the shaft.

I have assembled it using a pin constraint. When I run my analsys it dosnt move at all, can anyone tell me where Im going wrong? am I missing a step, or certain configuration?

Many thanks

Not so much can be seen from this pic

remember - one of those parts - I asumme it is shaft - should play role as a ground(highlight in green colour)

ljcasey said:
I see, I havent read about setting a "ground" part. How do I set this?

This was the problem, thanks.

I went back into "standard" right clicked the shaft and selected "fix".

Went back into mechanism and everything worked! :)

Thanks alot! :D

Yes I have looked at that tutorial, I cant seem to find where it mentions about setting a part as the ground part.

Doing what I said above solved the problem for my "test" simple example.

I have tried to do the same on my larger project, but "fixing" the assembly which should stay static, dosnt make it the "ground" part in mechanism.

As you can see in my screenshot body1 should be ground. How do I set this as the ground?

rotation2.jpg

I had noticed that you had posted your ? on ptc's forum also, thought you might be able to access the knowledge base too.

That's a bummer... it's so PTC'ish... maintence should be patches and fixes, not how to's

when are these guys going to come out of their coma
smiley7.gif

As far as I know, you don't 'set' a component as ground, you simply fully constrain it to something fixed like the default datums or another fully constrained component.

The 'ground body' is simply the stuff that's fully constrained.

Yes, that makes sense dgs.

I have to assemblies.

the frame work (ground)

and the tube with two pins on each end which rotates in a cradle on the frame (body1)

I assemble the frame.asm into a new asm (def. co-ord). This is fixed.

Then I assemble the rotating tube to the frame.asm using pin joint.

I go into mechanism and see this...
ground (when selected it shows the frame.asm like it should)
body1 (when selected again shows the frame.asm which im assuming it shouldnt as this should be fixed)
body2 (highlights the tube)
body3 (also highlights the tube)

what am I doing wrong? I assume that there should just be ground (frame.asm) and body1 (rotating tube)?

PS. Thank you everyone for your support.

rotation3.jpg

Finally figured it with the help from all of you.

Sub-asm's wasnt "fixed" I had always assumed that if you assembled a part into a new asm using the default co-ord system this would be fixed. but it isnt. Thanks guys, its working now. :)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back