Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

What is "spec" in "spec driven piping"?

caddie

Hi,

I am looking into a new schema program to replace Medusa (among others). We are looking intoRSD (again, among others) to enable us to useschema driven3D as an option for thefuture.

I am curious to know:
- What is the format between RSD and PROE? Is it XML?
- If it is a 3'rd party format like XML: Does anyone use or heard of other software then RSD to drive Pro/E piping and/or cabling?

Thanks

Hi,

We use RSD and Pro Piping all the time. It is now our main design software. Yes, it uses .xml. I don't know of any other software that can work with piping. So far we're pretty happy with it all, but PTC needs to work on the user interface to make it less frustrating. It has a big learning curve, made worse by the feeling that there are not many people in the world using both RSD and Pro Piping.... together. Hard to find people to share knowledge with.

Chris

It actually sounds like you are talking about schematic-driven piping: using 2D information from RSD to drive your piping design. You can use Mentor Graphics as an alternative to drive Pro E, or any package that is capable of outputting a PTC neutral file for wire lists and routing. (I don't know what other programs are capable of doing this.)

Spec-driven piping is driving your piping design from a master catalog. The master catalog contains a number of different files for all the different pipes you use, and these files specify materials, OD, thickness, fittings, insulation, bolt-nut codes and combinations, etc. You pare the master catalog files down to just the information you need for your specific project. It sometimes takes the admin some time to set up the master catalog for your company's needs, if it differs from the PTC delivered catalog, and there is a considerable learning curve for the user to understand both the interface and the concept. Once implemented, along with schematic-driven piping, it can be quite powerful.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back