Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Stretched cord on winding pulley in MDO

AdrianHomutescu

Hello everybody

I need to analyze in MDO (Mechanical dynamics option) the behaviour of the cord while it is wound / unwound on and of a pulley.

The cord itself is kept tight by a spring, and as the cord winds/unwinds, the spring compresses or decompresses accordingly, changing the tension inside the cord.

Can this be achieved in Pro/E Wildfire 2?

I saw a topic about a flexible rope "How to create a ROPE? ", but unfortunately that did not end with a conclusion. However, Pommares gave a movie that pictured such a flexible cord that seemed to have been modeled in Pro. Unfortunately he did not mention how such an element could be used in mechanism.

If you have any ideas, I'm all ears!

This could get very complicated, but I would try to tackle the problems by modeling the rope as a cylindrical segments with springs of the appropriate stiffness between the segments. The segment length should be as long as possible to get accurate results.

I imagine the flexible rope demonstration you saw was to demonstrate the "flexible component" capability in Assembly mode.

No wsylvester, it was on this very forum,on [url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26 729&PN=6[/url]

the second page. You willfind there a movie that is very hopeful. A cord changed shape during a mechanism analysis.

Mloew, if the movie was made in Pro, then probably it was more than a flexible component. Flexible components change shape just upon explicit regeneration of the assembly, a thing impossible during kinematic or dynamic analysis.

I need to know the tension in the cord/spring as the cord unwinds of the pulley.The shape of the pulley is not a circular cam, so a degree of rotation is connected to the unwound length of the cord as a nonlinear function (as the pulley turns).

Thanks anyway for the advice; still it is not what I am looking for.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back