Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Living Hinge Design

survey

Hello,

Does anyone have any reference material for a living hinge design that snaps open like a shampoo bottle? There are typically three hinges and the offset hinge holds the cap or lid open. I can create the geometry with no problems, but I was wondering if there is any design data available for the forces created by the offset hinges?

Question 2. How easy is it to use the spinal bend with the offset hinges?

thanks,

Survey

survey said:
the offset hinge holds the cap or lid open.

Sounds likeyou're talking about the so-called 'butterfly' hinge. Good luck. There are no design guidelines available in the public domain for this feature like there are for regular living hinges. The companies that are able to do it seem to really guard their designinformation pretty tightly. It will require on your part a lot of trial & error. What I always do is model the hinge in the open molded position & separately in the closed position and make sure the lengths of the outside edgesare the same in both. That way you know there's enough slack to get it closed. How thick or how long depends on processing variables & may not be resolved until you actually mold. Best thing to do IMHO is to leave in thin and then make steel safe changes later.

Thanks mgnt8, your reply was what I was looking for. I also appreciate all of the other links.

cheers!

survey

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back