Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Do you now use VSS instead of sweep?

Do you now use Variable Section Sweep instead of regular sweep?

• Yes, I use Variable Section Sweep instead because of the UI.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I still use the old pre & post WF functionality.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mjcole_ptc

I have begun to think that PTC is obsoleting the Regular Sweep functionality of Pro/E by integrating it into the Variable Section Sweep tool using the Constant Section option which can be done with a single trajectory.

I've found it a lot easier to do normal sweeps this way and be able to modify the type instead of creating a Regular Swept surface that I can Solidify or Merge later to get what I want. I feel that not being able to use sweeps with wildfire functionality has forced people to abandon the sweep feature except the hardcore 2001 users.

I was wondering if anyone agrees with this method or that PTC is pushing us to stop using regular sweep. I have yet to check the file size difference if any for using the VSS instead but will report back on this later.

Has the Sweep Function been updated to Wildfire in v4? I'm betting no until I'm shown otherwise. I know Swept Blend was but have doubts about Sweep. At least I have the sweep icon which I snagged from the model tree. So if PTC does upgrade sweep I'll have an icon when they fail to provide one.
smiley36.gif

View attachment 4241

Michael

Ur right - it seems like VSS swallowed up the old 'Sweep' feature. I just don't know why they still keep it around. Maybe legacy issues. The next logical step is to combine VSS & Swept Blend, but who knows if that will ever happen. I think that would simplify things greatly.

The reason for using the regular Sweep is the Add Internal Faces option which allows you to sketch an outline in your section and have the inside be solidified.

There is also the Merge ends option which will extend the sweep section past it's orientation normal to the trajectory.

Michael

Interesting - never used those features before. Although I still can't help but think they could still all be lumped into a super-sweep feature with VSS & SW.
Edited by: mgnt8

I still use sometimes an old sweep func because of one basic reason - in VSS you are able to pick only curve or edge tangent chain, the old func allow you to collect any chain of edges you want(ok, not any, it must be chain without breaks),

You can also create a 3D spline curve within sketcher when defining a trajectory within the sweep feature.

Sam

the same I can do with non tangent edges collection - make first composite curve then VSS, but..., maybe, I have still this old habbit(common sweep) existing in me
smiley2.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back