Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Allow Sort by Row when viewing Details.

mjcole_ptc

This has annoyed me for quite some time.

In windows and most newer CAD programs you can view details on files ie Created By, Modified, Size etc. during file open. Most people I know like to be able to sort thru files by clicking on the Column Header that you want to sort by and getting a descending or ascending list. This is a lot easier than scanning a huge list and trying to sort them out yourself from an alphabetical listing.

In Pro/E when you show details you can view the column headers but they are just a tease because they provide you with data that you must sort by yourself. You are also not given the ability to add or remove columns such as Windows allows you to do.

At least during File Open you can resize the columns. Whooppie!
However when using the folder Browser they have fixed column widths and you still can't sort by them.

Making programs that work well in a Windows environment involves more than just creating limited amounts of icons.

Michael
smiley5.gif

This is another example of how PTC's multiplatform support policy limits their ease of use. They cannot use built in Windoze functionality because the code has to run on non Windoze platforms. All the nice little user interface stuff has to be built by hand rather than using the native libraries. This is why it is taking so long to redo the user interface.

I'm sure there are existing Pro/E users who would be really pissed off if PTC dropped support of the UNIX platforms. If MS ever makes a decent professional 64 bit version of Windoze, there will no longer be any real reason to use UNIX. However, PTC would probably still support it for 3 more years. So don't hold your breath for a real native Windoze Pro/E version anytime soon.

I love UNIX because of it's stability but thanks to IBM and Beavis Gates, we have all had Windows shoved down our throats.

I would also like to see Linux support. I think that PTC can have Pro/E functionality that would allow Pro/E and not Windows to allow sorting. We can sort BOM tables by parameters and dimension values.

Also what about Floating or Detachable toolbars? Unigraphics was once and still is I believe a UNIX program. and you could always double click a toolbar to detach it. You can also now run it on an Apple Native Version in NX5.

I don't see Microsoft Making any decent versions of any software in the next 10 years.
I mean look at all the problems they've had with Vista.
Microsoft just wants to release software and force upgrades every few years to make money.

If it's still broke why do they still insist on trying to fix it.

I guess it makes sense to have one disk able to install on UNIX or MS but there must be a solution out there waiting to be used.
Possibly Intralink I know you can sort with that on UNIX or Windoesn't

Michael
No Longer a Menu Manager Junky, But I'd like to be able to just dismiss it and use my Mapkeys. Can I get a restraining order on the menu manager?
smiley18.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back