Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Select the pattern of a feature pattern,

dougr

<H1>Anyone make head-or-tail of this ????</H1>
<H1>To Unpattern the Pattern of a Feature Pattern </H1>

1. <LI ="kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered">
    Select the pattern of a feature pattern, that is, the feature pattern pattern that you want to unpattern on the Model Tree and right-click. A shortcut menu appears.
    <LI ="kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered">
    Click Unpattern. The selected pattern of a feature pattern is unpatterned and the result is a set of feature patterns.</LI>
Note: You can unpattern the pattern of a feature pattern only if the pattern is either a dimension pattern or a table pattern.
See Also
To Create a Pattern of a Feature Pattern
To Delete the Pattern of a Feature Pattern

Am not sure but think this just plain doesn't work...
I right-click on a feature or group pattern and nothing remotely looking like "unpattern" shows up.
They really need to get some sane, sensible and rational people at PTC...
Edited by: dougr

Maybe if we throw in a shift-control-rmb-select with shift-shift-lmb-mmb-select-select "unpattern" may show up ....

dougr said:
Maybe if we throw in a shift-control-rmb-select with shift-shift-lmb-mmb-select-select "unpattern" may show up ....

Aaaahhhh yes, I seem to remember a Rant 'n' Rave with similar text.

My preferred method for working out what the hell tecno-gibberish like this is,is to e-mail the offending supplier a polite enquiry that starts off with 'Dear Person Who Has No Idea What They Are Talking About......' and finishes with '$%

It works for group patterns.

But regular patterns Reference - Feature Patterns, Ref - Group Patterns, Ref - Both patterns probably doesn't.
I think they plan to introduce more complexity and number of different types of patterns in each release of wildfire instead of improving their existing functionality.
Hopefully the ability to redefine groups by picking which members to remove or not and getting rid of the parent feat id number must be limitations would be great. We'll see how good the ability to supress individual group members without all of them works in WF4 or whatever that's planned for.

In my case I usually drive complex or hole patterns with a reference pattern so I can redefine a hole if that becomes necessary with out having to destroy and recreate or regroup patterns.

If I wasn't so used to thinking up workarounds to bugs and poor implementation of patterns, I'd be a little more peeved.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Yeah finally got it to work for groups too...

Help documentation states thatunpattern works for group and feature patterns that use the variable dimension option.

Wasn't able to get it to work for feature pattern so had to "group" a single feature.

In the old days I would call PTC help and explain what I was trying to do. Standard response was "why do you want to do that". Haven't conversed with PTC in a while but get the feeling some things just don't change..
Edited by: dougr

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back