Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dimension in Sketch Text

KurtStark

I have to make a cosmetic groove for a mm-scale.
Defining a text in the sketch, I can type a defined text or use a parameter.
Is there a way to refere to a dimension text istead of a parameter? (&dxx is not working).
Is there another way to create numbers on a scale automaticaly?

For making the scale I wanted to make a table pattern of lines and a note pattern relating to this and the individual dimensions.

If there is no way to do it easier, then I type it in.

From the Proecad list digest, related problem, you should be able to make it work for yours:

original message:
i want to create some cosmetic text containing the numbers 1 thru 99, both horizontally and vertically, 6" between the numbers. this is actually numbering the rows and columns of a fixture plate containing mounting holes. 99 holes on x and y. the machinist can reference, for instance, hole location x55y34 to attach a clamp...
i can pattern a cosmetic feature-- i can drive cosmetic text via a parameter-- but can i increment the text "value" sequentially? or do i have to do it the long way :(

This reply from Kevin S. at PTC, which worked GREAT!
Fun problem, easy solution.
1) In your text sketch, sketch a point dimensioned 6 units away from zero.
2) Create a sketcher relationship, LABEL=itos(sd0/6) (or whatever the sd# of the 6 dimension was). The ITOS function is "integer to string" and the equation sets the text at 6 units="1", 12 units="2", etc.
3) Create your sketched text and choose LABEL as the driving parameter. sketch your text relative to the sketch point you just created, that way the text label and the point will move together. The simplest would be to draw the text line straight up from the point and then set the text to be centered horizontally.
4) Finish the sketch. Modify the 6 dimension and watch the fun (if you did it correctly, the number will rapidly change as it dynamically moves the location)
5) Create a dimension pattern picking the 6 and incrementing by 6.

If you need to start at a different offset other than 6, just change the relationship to achieve what you need.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back