Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dynamic Springs in Mechanism Design

78finn

I have a spring that is lodged ibetween a fixed surface and a moving part in a assembly. Bascially the spring is to be compressed.

I'm hoping someone will be able to let me know who to go aboutgoing about setting this up as a mechanismi.e. compressing & uncompressing the spring.

I kow there is such things as "Flexible Parts" & "REF DIMS" that give you a RD0 number...but I have know idea what to once I have it i.e. how to apply it to the spring (spring_length:44=rdo0 etc etc)...

Can anyone help??? Hope so.....

Michael

Michael,

The spring you've created as a part in Pro cannot be used to model spring forces in Mechanisms. First, you'll need to associate the proper proportion of the spring with the moving end of your device (mass considerations). You can only define a spring once you are in Mechanisms as either a force acting on a joint axis or between two points. Flexible bodies only simulate the varying shape of the solid body when certain constraints are varied. Obviously, you'll need to have a license of MDX and MDO in order to model dynamic mechanisms in Pro/E. The help facility for these modules contain enough info to get you going, so please check those out.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Pro E cannot handle this functionality yet. You can compress a spring with Pro Mechanica which will show its deflection, forces etc., but it can't be done in Mechanism. If you have MDO you can put in a simulation spring in which will allow you to find resultant forces on mating parts. Using flexible dimensions will allow you toshowthespringin different stages of compression, but will not dynamically move for you.
smiley18.gif

Hope this helps

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back