Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

replacing parts in assembly

2ms1

I would like to swap in some new parts to replace some older ones in a large assembly. I also would like to use the names of the new parts rather than just keeping the same names.

Can anyone tell me how thisis done? I know it's a basic question, but I can't seem to figure it out.
Edited by: 2ms1

Use RMB-menu replace, there yuo will find several options.

If you have no Family members or interchange assembly, you best use layout option. You will get the placment dialogue and will get into the repair mode for all components related to the replaced one.

Good luck

I'm having a nightmare of a time selecting the various component items like datum planes to get the parts fully constrained/placed in this assembly. There are 10 million planes all over the place and it seems to be impossible toget tothe ones I want to select. Of course, I'm using rmb "Pick from list", but what I'm looking for still never seems to come up.

Any advice on this issue? It's extremely annoying to see the plane you want to select, click directly on its name in addition to a million other places and yet never be able to actually select it.

There's got to be a better way of doing this.

View attachment 4051
Edited by: 2ms1

What do you mean by layers? I'm not familiar with that term in Pro/E. I've tried hiding all the parts in assembly other than the two I'm using, but believe it or not, all those datum planes shown above are in the two parts alone.

If you have the Tree Filters set to show datum planes, you can expand the model in the assembly, look down through the model tree & select the datum plane you want - of course that won't help for the model you want to add to the assembly, but there is an option to have the model you want to add in a separate window, which makes it easier to see it's datum planes.

You need to go read the help files on layers and then the 'Mastering Layers Q&A' thread in the modeling forum. Layers are a powerful display tool that helps deal with that datum plane clutter & more.

When I swap out parts in an assy I'll pick the part I want from the model tree RMB replace, once I have my new part active ( I like the preview window) I click on that window and do a "ctrl F" which brings up the search tool set "look in" to the part you are replacing then set the "look for" to the type of constraint you want axis, datum plane ect... pickthe "Find now" tab you will get alist of all the axis or datums in that part pick the one you want then do the same for your assy do Ctrl F and this time set "look in" to your assy and pick the type of constraint you want. Repeat this till you component is fully constrained.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back