Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Dual-core dual processor Settings??

Goat

So

I have a dual-core (3GHz)multiprocessor (x2)system with 4 gigs of memory but the system is not running as fast as it should, actually its quite slow and crashes a lot.I have a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500 graphics card set to pro/e as well.

I was wondering if Pro/E has any settings that can be changed to run better with my setup. Can pro/e even do multi-threading?

Any tips/help is appreciated

Thanks

I am also running XP Pro and have heard that you have to switch the boot.ini file when you have more than 2 gig of ram so it can use the excess, basically XP reads upto 2 gig andanything more you have to "switch" to 3gig settingis this true?

I'm not sure this is entirely true. However, I did dredge up this link whichI posted on a related topic on graphics cards here at Pro/E Forum:

[url]http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/aa366778.aspx#physi cal_memory_limits_windows_xp[/url]

The Microsoft folks say that IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWAREcan be enabled to raise the addressable size fora single process from 2GB to 3GB. It also clearly states (near the bottom) that Win XP Pro (32-bit) can address up to 4GB total. This implies that if you have 2GB of memory or less, the registry setting above does nothing. Also, any memory size greater than 4GB is a waste of money. There are more useful links in this article.

I don't think I've answered your questions, but at least I'm throwing you a bone.

I'massuming that you use good housekeeping rules: anti-virus, anti-spam and anti-spyware are installed and fully operational, you run Disk Cleanup regularly (several times a month at least), your hard disk is defragged regularly with a good defragging program like Diskeeper (at least once a week), and you have lots of free disk space and a large swap space (at least four times your RAM), and you reboot your system at least twice a week.

We have been involved quite heavily here. It would appear xp can only access slightly over 3 gig. Proe doesn't make use of dual core technology (yet). I believe wf4 does however (released jan). We use xp 64 bit and that does the trick. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the all input;

I have 'switched' XP to the 3gig setting and it seems to help some. As for "swap space" on my hard drivehow do i increase that? Is it an XP or Pro/E setting?

Thanks again,

Mike

Goat said:
As for "swap space" on my hard drivehow do i increase that? Is it an XP or Pro/E setting?
Right click 'My Computer' on your desktop and select 'Properties', then the 'Advanced' tab, 'Settings' in the Performance section, the 'Advanced' tab and finally 'Change' in the Virtual memory section.

Are you using the nVidia nView Desktop Manager? I have found it to make Pro/E crash. If you are (I love the virtual desktops, etc.) then you can disable nView functions for xtop (Pro/E parent process). That stopped crashing with my FX3450.

I gave it more swap space and it seems to help a lot; i will look into the video card setting

thanks for all the input

Goat said:
Thanks for the all input;

I have 'switched' XP to the 3gig setting and it seems to help some. As for "swap space" on my hard drivehow do i increase that? Is it an XP or Pro/E setting?

Thanks again,

Mike

Keep in mind, if you're hitting your virtual memory, you're accessing the hard drive. More virtual memory will keep you from crashing as much, but that will KILL performance. If you're using models 2 GB or larger, you might as well make the jump to 64 bit.
Edited by: shipley00

FYI ... the total addressable memory of a 32 bit OS is ~4 Gb. That includes any swap space. Setting your swap space larger than "4 Gb - Physical RAM" is a waste of disk space. If you have 4 Gb of RAM then you theoretically would not use any swap space.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back