Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sheetmetal forms

eServ

Another question. Is it just me or is the form functionality in Sheetmetal a bad idea, since you have to create a seperate part in order to provide the correct design intent? This sound like an issue for the Wish List forum, but why can't they allow you to create a formed part on-the-fly. That would definitely be better, don't you think? Using Intralink, it isn't a problem, but if you don't have Intralink, it could be.

On sheetmetal parts I typically stay away from sheet metal due to the loss of functionality in other areas. However, I do use thin features so that I can go to sheet metal if I have the need - you can't go the other way from sheet metal to standard.

Being in design I usually don't have such need as I don't create flat patterns etc. This policy serves well...

The form funtion is not a bad idea; I happen to think that it is a good idea. I have dealt with using forms in both PDM and Intralink and have not had any problems. The possible reason for not being able to create a formed feature on the fly is that when you create a flat pattern of a sheetmetal part, the formed feature will not be flattened correctly. There needs to be some material for deformation of the formed feature. The forms that we have set up are used in multiple parts; this is an advantage also.

On sheetmetal parts I typically stay away from sheet metal due to the loss of functionality in other areas. However, I do use thin features so that I can go to sheet metal if I have the need - you can't go the other way from sheet metal to standard.

Being in design I usually don't have such need as I don't create flat patterns etc. This policy serves well...

Ascorti,

I guess what I am trying to say is, why can't they use the same principle (creating the mandrel or the part that is doing the forming), but only have it attached to the part you are creating. It would be the same concept of creating a datum on-the-fly. Does this make sense? Why would Pro/E know how to create a flat without the formed part and not with the formed part being attached to the created part.

Hi!

If you are using much of sheetmetal parts and flat patterns, try Pro/PDX (Progressive dies extension).

This piece of software have very good (if not the best) solution for flat patterns (they call it stations).

It is new Pro/module for building progressive dies tools.

[email protected]

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back