Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Making File Size Smaller

verge

I have a vendor-supplied assembly that takes up a huge amount of memory, and I need to place it into one of our assemblies. The only information I need about this model is the external geometry, weight and center of gravity.

What should I convert this file to in order to reduce the amount of memory it takes up? What's the procedure?

Verge,

Is the vendor-supplied assy a ProE assy?

If it is, then there are a few options for you

1. Created a simplified rep of what you are interested in and insert that.

2. Create a shrinkwrap

3. Export the assy as a step file, insert that into a new file andinsert that.

4. Save a copy of the vendor-supplied assy and only keep what you are interested in (ie kill all nuts, bolts washers, parts that are internal and of no relevance)

Kev

PS1 or 4 would be my choice, 4 coz I could add bits back in later if needs be

What will a shrinkwrap give me? I'm talking about an entire engine-generator set - it could take who knows how long just to rid ourselves of all the unnecessary stuff. Like I said, all I need is the external geometry, in order to hook up fuel lines, drain lines, etc.

Let's face it, as usual I'm looking for an easy out!
smiley36.gif

Tut, tut, tut Verge,

There are no easy outs......
smiley36.gif

File>-Save As>-Shrinkwrap will give you the required outside geometry that you want (you will probably end up adding datum planes and axes for reference afterwards even though you can export them). As you bring the quality level up from say 1 to 7 the level of outputted detail increases and so does the file size, you are in to the area of marginal returns

Kev

Life is an area of marginal return
smiley1.gif
. I'll give it a go with the shrinkwrap, and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks Kev.

Well, my lack of memory space (I'm waiting on a new computer right now) cause me to crash out of Pro-E just trying to convert this file. Looks like it'll be a while before I can give you an update on this one.

I can feel the weakness coursing through my veins.....

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back