Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Relations-Prt Parameter-Multi. Generics

jgray_globus

I have a assembly that is being bliut to represent multiple shapes and sizes.

There is a shaft assembled first. then there are 6 knobs assemblied after that. Each knob is a different shape but all have the same heights biult into the family table. knob_1 has 8 heights. knob_2 has 8 heights, and so on. I have a Parameter in all the knob parts of "HEIGHT". I need to show all the height parameter in a repeat region. i have a relation of height=H:6. The comes from the first knob. So the reapeat region is correct for all heights of the firs knob. But the rest all read the generics height. I was hoping to add to the relation using if and/or else, I think anyways.

Please ask if you want more explanation on this.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

How are those knob's of your's made?

If they are stand alone parts then what you did is correct, write in each part a relation height=d120 (where d120 is the dimension id for the height of one part). Then you show the height in repeat region like &asm.mbr.height.

If those knob's are made as a family table: write a relation in thegeneric like height=d120, then put the parameter height in the family table, you don't have to fill every value, just make a verify for the instances and it will be automatically populated with values. Then put it in repeat region like &asm.mbr.height Should work.

Let me know if I understood corectly what your problem is.

Now if I read your post again maybe you need to show the total height of all 8 knob's added all together ?

This will work only if your repeat region see your knob's as the same part, I mean if it reports you have 10 pcs of knob's and you don't have a part_number in your repeat region for them, I mean you have only one line inthe repeat region that says you have10knobs.Otherwise it will see individual parts and this is not going to work.

try this for total height:

Write in your repeat region / relations:

if qty==1

total_height=asm_mbr_height

else

total_height=asm_mbr_height*rpt_qty

endif

Then put in the repeat region &rpt.rel.total_height

If the repeat region see yourknob's as individual then you can show a total height for them only with summation (table/ repeat region / summation)

Thanks for trying, but I want to clarify again.

Let me try to explain this again. I have a generic assy. i have a handle assembled first. Then I have 5 different knobs assembled to the handle. All 5 knobs have a different footprint and a series of hieghts. so the knobs are also generics and have 5 instances within. All 5 are never used on the same assy. My family table has 25 instances. 5 footprints x 5 hieghts = 25 variations.

So know I want to populate in a repeat region the hieght of each variation. I have written a relation the says hieght=h:2. I get that by typing in "hieght=" and then selecting the "H" dimension in the first knob. The hieght generates for the first 5 instances, but the next 20 get the default value from the generic. I assume I need to write another realtion hieght=h:4. But I need to tell it that if the first one doesn't work, to then look at the second one. I need to do that 5 times I think. Something like this I guess:

if

hieght=h:2

ifnot

hieght=h:4

ifnot

hieght=h:6

and so on !!!

Does this help with what i am trying to accomplish?

Thanks in advance.

Jason

You will probably be better off checking what the height dimension name is in each instance.

eg instance 1-5 name is d7, instance 6-10 name is d35, etc.

For your purpose, it would have been better if the dimension names were all the same, but what you can do is:-

if (&d7 )
height = &d7
else
if (&d35 )
endif
endif

This should check whether there is a dimension called d7 (d35, etc) and if so, set the height value equal to that dimension.

OK...sothen isn't this your situation? But write the relation in the knobs generics.......

"If those knob's are made as a family table: write a relation in thegeneric like height=d120, then put the parameter height in the family table, you don't have to fill every value, just make a verify for the instances and it will be automatically populated with values. Then put it in repeat region like &asm.mbr.height Should work."

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back