Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

smt_flange

ice_man

Hi Guys:

I have a part shown in the picture above. I want to create a flange @ 90deg. If you create a flange with tangent chain edges, it adds the relieves but when u try to undend it the surfaces overlap each other. Now, to avoid that, I created seperate flat walls for each edge and added the necessary relieves, However, when you insert corner relieves it wont create a relief for all the 4 corners. I dont want to create bunch of features to make it work, I believe Pro?e Sheetmetal is high end package where you can do stuff like this with minimum number of features. Any help would really be appreciated.TIA.

Cheers[FILE=uploads/iceman/2007-05-03_104911_smt_flange.zip]2007-05-03_104911_smt_flange.zip[/FILE]

I may be sleepy at this hour
smiley1.gif
and don't see the part corectly but how do you bend the middle portion.

I guess these will be the flanges, which are easy to make, just select the edge:

View attachment 3548

But then the middle one will still be overlapping. Unless you make it a trapeze.

You are right, the middle one is overlapping, but then what about the relieves, if you have that flat walls created, Pro/E doesn't add relieves to the ends of the middle edge. Shouldn't it be adding circular relieves at those 2 coreners as well. If You want you can try it and see it it works for you. TIA.

The relieves for the middle edge dont look very professional. Look closely, and see the corner relief at the end of first edge and at the second edge, looks like you have 2 bend relieves there, instead of one corner relief. Also the flanges need to be tapered, so that bend relief becomes even worst.

rounds would work, but you know what else you could try to first create the flat piece, make the reliefs (I guess you will make this partlaser cut so you could even make them as circles where 2 edges intersect) and then bend back the flanges.

Something like this:

View attachment 3553

Zeta, its a sheetmetal part, u need to have relievs at the corners and the bends, you cannot have the flange like you have shown in your pictures.

Vlad, I guess Pro sheet metal is more kind of getting around it to make it work then, You have to find different ways to get it done, intead of Pro/E making the decisions for you.

Neway, thanks guys for all your help. I was just wondering if there was a proper way to do it, that I didn't know.

No unfortunately it doesn't work with circular relief. It would have been good to combine the circular relief with the miter cuts allowing you to choose one dimension for the circular relief and a smaller value for the miter cut.

The workaround could be to start with the obround relief but choose a smaller value e.g thickness, in this case 2 mm.

View attachment 3589

Then add the circular holes with a SMT cut slightly bigger in this case 3 mm.

View attachment 3590

Finally bend back the part.

View attachment 3591

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back