Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Is PTC listening?

davidinindy

I've sent 15 enhancement requests since Jan 2006. None of them have gotten any responses. They all say "Pending" in the resolution column.

How many have you submitted, and have you seen any implemented?

David,

I started using ProE, release 19(?, possibly 17, so long ago I can't remember)

I gave up years ago sending PTC any enhancement requests, there are only so many times that I can stand rejection in my life.

Kev

Way back when dinosaurs still roamed and the earths crust was not yet solidified, I sent many enhancement requests to a very young PTC and was immensely gratified to see them appear in a release or two. I have not seen anything implemented in several years.

2007-05-11_052500_banghead.gif

or

2007-05-11_052515_deadhorse.gif

prohammy, Good Work that is.

I always asked for the find button in drawing option file but no response. Have you people asked for this. Its is there in Tools-->Options but missing in drawing options.

I once used the Head Bang emoticon as a desktop background to do my wall banging for me and save some brain cells.

smiley36.gif

Michael,

Class use of the 'headbang', I never even though that you could do that....and off I go to try it

Kev

EDIT

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

That is excellent Michael, I particuarly like the Tiled affect, thousands of little heads beating the hell outta themselves

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Edited by: prohammy

dr_gallup

Back in 1995 when I was a young lad consulting Pro/E at Polaris in Northern MN Rosoue ....

I asked PTC if we could turn a Protrusion to an Extruded Cut or to an Extruded Surface. They said why would anyone want to do that. Hence WF

But it wasn't until SW came out with this basic functionality that PTC pursued it, design-engine. I have also submitted numerous enhancement requests to PTC. I have no idea if any specificaction was taken on any of them, but I will have to say the appearance of their enhancement processing system is that of a corporate leviathan.

design-engine said:
dr_gallup

Back in 1995 when I was a young lad consulting Pro/E at Polaris in Northern MN Rosoue ....

I asked PTC if we could turn a Protrusion to an Extruded Cut or to an Extruded Surface. They said why would anyone want to do that. Hence WF
Nice one design-engine you
should have patented that idea. It seems Solid Works still has the
Surfaces and Solid features as separate functionality. But at least
they got the dragging protrusions into a solid to automatically set the
feature as a Cut. It used to be on Pro/E when you created a cut feature
the default direction would be into the part but in Wildfire it still
defaults to default direction being away from the part and you have to manually flip direction.

They were supposed to have functionality like SW in this respect in WF2
but they still require clicking the Cut option and flipping direction.
Also the extrusions in Pro/E go to 200 or so inches by default so I
usually hit Extrusion type in 10 or a more reasonable depth and then
select the sketch. But I still have to flip the damn direction.

Michael

Edited by: mjcole_ptc

Hey Guys ...

What about COLOR setting for each Family Table instance ... <SMILE>

That SPR was back at Lucent in '97 ...

========

It's like talking to our President ... lite is on ... but nobody home ...

========

I must say I had one good response. It was not actually an
enhancement, just a request that the new flange tool be fixed.
They did fix it in a later build, though I think it was more because
they touted the new tool as an improvement, and it had bugs.

Jim

Mindripper said:
But it wasn't until SW came out with this basic functionality that PTC pursued it, design-engine.

I'm only familiar with SW on the most basic level, does SW currently have the ability to change an extrude feature from a cut to a protrusion to a surface and back again?
Edited by: dgs

Nope SW has not got a toggle button between protrusion/cut/surface, well SW2007 hasn't anyway. I found it a tad frustrating, in fact it was a similar feeling when we used to use 2001!

In SW, you make a sketch in a function. If you want to change it to another type of feature, you delete the feature. The sketch used to create the feature is NOT deleted; it is simply 'unabsorbed'. Now you can use this sketch to create ANY other kind of feature. And yes, you can re-use the sketch - or any element of it - to create another feature. SW 'absorbs' multiple sketches into features such a swept blends. So you can have a series of swept blends containing common sketches at the ends of the swept blends, that areshown as sketches within bothswept blends. This keeps the model tree compact and relationships are obvious, and there is no need to duplicate sketches.

So you delete the feature to change it to another type: what happens to it's children? The error recovery logic is much more robust in SW than in Pro/E: the children will probably regenerate perfectly,or maysimply be flagged to indicate something needs to fixed.The user does not automatically get thrown into a forced redefinition of every dependent feature which has a minor error. And the error correction logic in SW is so easy to use, identifying and correcting the lost references is is a snap.

Yes, you can also create curves in the model tree that can be used asstandalone references for many features, just as is encouraged in WF - and mandatory if you ever want to have a hope of recovering the feature sketch for some other use. This basic functionality has been part of SW for many years.

Gotta love that 'Easy' button.
smiley1.gif

That's very different from what design_engine was talking about and what's in Pro|E. The ability to flip form cut to protrusion is very powerful and is a Pro|E invention, as far as I know. Even more so, is the ability to flip form cut or protrusion to surface. Child features do not loose their references and do not fail at all, unless of course the change of feature type means the children are invalid.

Nearly everything that SW does with sketches, Pro|E can do as well and there are things the Pro|E does that SW cannot. I hate how SW 'absorbs' the sketch and then removes it from the tree. The sketch may be feature #5 and the feature using it #45. Edit the sketch definition and you are suddenly thrown up the tree to feature #5. There's no way to tell (that I know of)in SW where the sketch is once it's absorbed. I like how Pro|E leaves it in the tree while showing it as absorbed in the feature as well.

I like having the flexibility of having internal or external sketches. 90% of the Tim, I won't need that sketch again. The only thing that I wish I could do in Pro|E is 'externalize' a sketch. I can 'internalize' it (make a copy of the selected sketch as a n internal, feature tied sketch) but I cannot 'externalize' it.

The SW separate sketch idea was a good one, but they abandoned the internal sketch. Pro|E has adopted the external sketch idea, leaving the internal sketch there as well. I find that to be a more flexible approach. One simple change and we'd have the best of both worlds.

dgs said:
I hate how SW 'absorbs' the sketch and then removes it from the tree. The sketch may be feature #5 and the feature using it #45. Edit the sketch definition and you are suddenly thrown up the tree to feature #5. There's no way to tell (that I know of)in SW where the sketch is once it's absorbed. I like how Pro|E leaves it in the tree while showing it as absorbed in the feature as well.

God I hate that too. Thats just something you have to live with in SW... Lots of work arounds like copy the sketch before you consume it. What I find frustrating is discussing things like this with SW users. I think the user base is less informed... they in general (unless they use Pro/ENGINEER at one time at a midrange level at least) don't have the vocabulary to make any intelligent argument. Try to explain intent manager or why you don't want the sketch to be consumed...

I did create the start of a bad ass surfacing class for SW... my SW expert ... consultant friends are blown away. Guess we better purchase SW before we start selling classes tho.

Edited by: design-engine

As I have said many times before, use what you like. Myself, I spent half a day trying to make a simple extrusion in SW. I got some things to work, but the interface confused me. I am positive this is due to using Pro/E for so long. But that is ok. I am comfortable with it and like using it. SW, not so much.

I am sure the same is true for veteran SW users who try to migrate to Pro/E.

This thread probably needs moved to the Rant & Rave section.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back