Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Mini challenge for mold design too

G

Years ago, I got a quotation for a part seems not so easy, customer need 150K per year, the further request will depend on the market. But finally could not success because our price too high... I bring it here for your guys reference, please notice how to make it resonable and ensure the tool life.

I make the igs to Proe2001 solid,yet not perfect but doesn't matter, hope you guys offer good comment so we all could learn something from it.

View attachment 3530

Hi Leo

glad to see a person putting here some challenge in mold design section. well, you will get soon my design here.

Hi Leo

I check ur part, and I think its die casting part not plastic injection. Am I right?? Bcoz the part has certain features that shows its a die casted part, and u know the mold construction of two different processes is entirely different. Normaly all the details of a die cast part must not be made in mold. but the plastic part is totaly made by molding and normaly we dont required any machining after part. Plz reply me soon.

Hi Leo

I check ur part, and I think its die casting part not plastic injection. Am I right?? Bcoz the part has certain features that shows its a die casted part, and u know the mold construction of two different processes is entirely different. Normaly all the details of a die cast part must not be made in mold. but the plastic part is totaly made by molding and normaly we dont required any machining after part. Plz reply me soon
----------

Sorry for my delay, just in holiday these day, go out for travel, hope your guys have a nice holiday too.
smiley1.gif

The material is ABS, fit in a washing machine as I know, I think, they need a reasonable price and ensure the tool life, and they don't like to change the product structure as I know.

When your guys got free time, do it may learn something, me too.

Would consideration not be given to a part to minimise die complexity. I know we always design a part for a given purpose and then analyse further when it comes to designing an injection moulding tool. E.g. if we make this modify this feature slightly then we lose the need for a slide etc. I can see a couple of features on the attached part which could be modified without affecting the functionalty of it.

Yes, you could design a tool easliy enough for what you have attached. There may be many slides and inserts and wear could be an issue but there is always the option to place hardened slide inserts into such a tool. It really depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

Phil

Hi Leo

I made a delay too,
smiley36.gif
. Anyway, tommorow I will try to make the mold. I will post it here asap.

pjw said:
Would consideration not be given to a part to minimise die complexity. I know we always design a part for a given purpose and then analyse further when it comes to designing an injection moulding tool. E.g. if we make this modify this feature slightly then we lose the need for a slide etc. I can see a couple of features on the attached part which could be modified without affecting the functionalty of it.

Yes, you could design a tool easliy enough for what you have attached. There may be many slides and inserts and wear could be an issue but there is always the option to place hardened slide inserts into such a tool. It really depends on how much money you want to throw at it.

Phil

For my humble opinion, yes, we can modify the product without interference with the function if we want, but the realism is that they would not let you know what the hell it is since it relate to business secrect and patent, and sometimes customer will not get anybody know something about the mould in their team, also, when they throw it for quotation, you did not know if you need to waste a lot of time for offering bunch of reform schemes, it just a quote, for new customer you just got 1/10 or no chance to get it, for old customer, they should let you join their design which could avoid a really complex mould.
smiley36.gif

Also, when the customer waste a lot of time to compare the different price and finally decide throw it to you, at this moment, they already could not offer one day more for you reform... yep, in most the case, you got the part from middle man not a final user, how much time and how to get a reasonable communication?

Let me organize my viewpoints: just do it, no objection.
Perfect mould without additional penny, it is what they want.

smiley36.gif

Ohhh man!

I am get tired bcoz of your part. It has a lot of work to split a mold. It has a lot of gaps and invalid geometry.
smiley7.gif
. Dont worry, I an working on it and soon I wil post its pics here. Time is main problem man.

congratulations

I had split it in basic volumes, may be I will post complete mold pics here at the weekend.
smiley4.gif
smiley31.gif
smiley31.gif

Hi Sanjeev

I am sorry man, but I am extremely bussy and cant even got time to logon here. I did make some progress, but some features must remove to make a plastic mold. Otherwise, in my opinion its nearly impossible. If I make sliders and lifters (thats a must), some features disturbing the motion.
smiley19.gif

this is quite interesting component.

i ll accept the challenge.

will give only the line of draw how it could be removed from the mould

i can submit design also if required

Any chance this part could be posted on the site zipped? I'd like to have a detailed look at it. I don't have winrar and we're not allowed to install any software.

Thanks

Michael

smiley36.gif

I made a trap for so a long time, but it seems that no one like to jump into it.
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

To avoid boys and girls fall into it anymore, I decide to fill the trap myself.
smiley4.gif

These days, I am trying to update my version from 2001 to Wildfire, so I choose it for my practice material. Wildfire seems stronger than 2001, but at most the time I can not found where they hide the commands, sometimes it really drive me crazy
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif
. But thanks God, I done it finally.

Ah, I just finished the major facets of the mold, more detail need to be perfect,(such as slide/prts taper,slide pin...so many, and a big stupid mistake inside
smiley4.gif
) it depends on your guys, after four days, if I still put this part on my screen, I should be craze.

If I really like to make a mold like that? Of course never! If customer pay me more more $, ah, maybe think about it. Too danger, frailness like a baby, if they just need a few thousand runs, ah...

Ok, no more bosh, let me upload the files one by one.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back