Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

BOM tables & balloons

barismarinos

I've created a new assembly(-4.asm)from an existing assembly (-1.asm) to a previously-created drawing whichreferences twoother similar-except-for-a-few-different-partsassemblies. This is a 3-sheet drawing created by an employee no longer with this company. This previous user createda BOM table (on SHEET 1) that contains two columns which drive the balloons in various views on the other sheets. I'd like to add a column for my new assembly (-4) with Balloons only for the parts that are different than the other assmblies shown in its view. How can I modify the existing table to do this? I'm new in Wildfire and have had limited training which didn't cover BOM table and related balloons.

It seems as though you need to add a parameter to the "different" parts. Then run some kind of an if loop to check for the parameter. If the parameter exists, then you'll use that column for your part's information and BOM balloon.

Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you in detail how to do this. I'll keep thinking about it, see if I can find anything.

You could add different repeat region tables to drive different assemblies. One method will be to create a new repeat region table, then add the new model to the drawing properties /drawing models. And then add this model to drive your new repeat region tabel, tabel / repeat region / model_rep and select the new model.

You say you have a single table on the first sheet that has different columns to drive different assy's. Then I'm thinking of inserting a new column, then make a new repeat region in that column, and set the new model to drive this new column. And then filter the parts you don't need.

But I don't fully understand how is this table of yours, so, can you post a picture with the table ? One picture with the current state and one picture with switch symbols, (repeat region switch syms), the second one to see how you have multiple repeat regions in one table.

Thank you for your reply and advice, Vlad and Verge. Itried adding a new column for the different assembly, but when I do that Pro-E wants to delete all the previously added (existing) BOM balloons on the -1 or -3 assemblies' views. Adding some type of rule might work, but I don't know how to word it properly for it to add BOM balloons to the proper assemblies' views.

I agree with Vlad, a picture is worth a thousand words, please post a picture of the existing BOM. Also is there a family table in a generic assy to create the -1, -2 and -3? If so you might try to create your -4 as an instance of that generic.

OK so I see you already added a column there. I must say thatI still have no idea how this table work but I'll find out in the end.

So please post another picture with switch sym. In drawing go to table / repeat region and switch sym and click on your table (click on the column where it says -3). Just to see the parameter names. Then go to table / repeat region / relations and click again on the table (click on the collumn where it says -3) and a window with the relations will apear. (copy / paste those relations here to see them).

I think to better understand how it works I need all this info, hope you don't mind.

by the look of it I would say those columns -1 and -3 are different columns with qty for different assemblies (those white notes).

So my suggestion, add a new column for the new assy, then write &rpt_qty in the bottom cell similar to the other ones, then go to table / repeat region / column model rep then click on the new cell that contains rpt_qty for the new assy, then a window will apear and select the new assy.

That should do it. Try and see and let me know if it's working.

I tried this on another assembly an it worked well.
Thanks Vlad.

The missing link is now family table to repeat region, so I can automate the number of column I have.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back