Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Why is there no...

jelston

Why is there no countersink option for thru holes and why is there a countersink option for threaded holes? Okay, one can argue that a countersink option is valid for threaded holes but where is the countersink for thru?

What version of Wildfire are you asking about?

It is in WF2, but it takes some fiddling with the menus to get it. You have to use a clearance hole to get it.

Is this 82 or 90, or 100degrees? There is no info on the countersink. How does the machinist know what countersink to use? Looks like a chamfer to me.
Edited by: jelston

Try placing a 1/4-20 UNC countersunk thru all hole using the standard hole feature type and see what you get. That is the standard note that comes from the hole table provided by ptc. If you dont like the standard note or hole characteristics create you own customized hole table.

Csusie,

I guess i was unclear(looking back at my original post, I didn't mention clearance) I'm looking for a clearance hole (unthreaded). Is there ever a use for a countersunk threaded hole? i might be underthinking the situation, but if i thread a hole, i do so in order to hole something between the object that has been threaded and the head of the bolt. If i countersink the threaded hole, the countersink is useless.
Edited by: jelston

Jelston,

I have in the no so distant past used a countersink threaded hole.

I got cornered in a design and had to use an M16 C/Sink in a 5mm wall thick plate and the easiest way to make sure the end of the countersink on the screw didn't foul the M16 hole was to countersink the tapped hole as well

Kev

Are you having a problem creating a clearance countersunk thru hole? Click the icon to remove threads and then you can make it close fit or free fit.

Why does the fact that you can make a threaded thru hole bothering you? Just because you dont want to ever use it doesnt mean someone else might not.

The picture I posted above was a 1/4"-20 UNC countersunk thru clearance hole with a close fit. It sounds like that is the type of hole you want.
Edited by: csusie

No such option on my end.I have a buttonthathas a caption "adds tapping", but it is not highlighted, so ican't use it.A tapped threaded hole doesn't bother me, just seems mechanically useless, if so, why is it an option (in ProE) at all?

That button becomes availible once you change the depth to through all.

In the PTC basic training manual they create a threaded countersunk hole for "balancing purposes"

I swear i am not trying to be beligerant. But first of all, i still don't get that option (using WF 3.0) and second, you only need countersink when using a thru-allhole? What if i want the hole to go half way thru? Can I get half a countersink?
smiley4.gif

If you wantclearance hole to go partly thru,you could always do a sketched hole.

Here is a picture of my dashboard, make all the settings the same as mine and you will get a thru all countersunk clearance hole.

View attachment 3443

The countersink option in a tapped is a no brainer. This countersink is a little bit bigger than the major diameter so the thread will not leave a burr sticking up after machining. The countersink also helps start the tap.

Cncwhiz

This is an asumption. We as the people doing the design should be putting this in our design? Just because the note says countersink does not make it so. I do pro manufacturing and will use this in my machining. Anybody that is worth their weight that is doing "CAM" programming will need this type of detail or you will not see it on the part.

Cncwhiz

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back