Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Intralink 3.X on Linux

tcusumano

Upon search hit a few questioning ability to run Intralink 3.X on Linux but no responses.

Although not a supported OS by PTC I see no reason why the dataserver could not operate on the Linux platform. Can anyone shed insite on this? Has anyone ported the Intralink 3.X to Linux?

When I looked at Intralink in 2005, it was supported on Linux - on the server side. But two things have happened since then. First, PTC seems to be moving away from Intralink and pushing users toward Windchill. Second, PTC is back pedaling on their Linux support. PTC has become a company driven by short-term financial goals, instead of then technical competency. My recommendation would be to tell PTC you want to run Intralink and you want to run it on Linux. And that no other solution would be suitable for your business. Let them think on that for awhile.

I doubt PTC will do anything with Intralink3.x. They have moved on to Windchill based solutions for data management.

That was one of my gripes when PTC announced Wildfire on Linux, no Intralink 3.x support was planned. That killed any hope of using Linux workstations.

Edited by: looslib

Move on Windchill PDM/Link, its web base, you wil only need a browser
smiley4.gif

Thanks all for replies. Apart from looking ahead and moving to a next generation PDM like Windchill PDMLink 8 we still have legacy with Intralink 3.x that will eventually be migrated but for today needs continued support. I have Intralink 3.x on HPUX in a cluster configuration but this hardware is expiring and was looking for short term solution available on LINUX. Post was to see if anyone had ported it to LINUX. I refuse to put anything on Windows (that ought to spawn a few emails from the Windowzealots).I am currently going through the ptcsetup and manually building the database. Understand PTC will not support this but it being end of life really do not need their support. Will post if I was successful in doing this on LINUX in near future.

PTC generally supports products for a minimum of 3 years (which isn't that long considering what they charge for them). Anyway, I believe Intralink was supported on Linux in late 2005, so it would follow that it would continue to be supported through 2008. PTC is supporting Pro/E on Linux until at least 2009.
Did you use the PTC Software Update Tool to see if there are updates for Intralink on Linux there?
I am sorry I can't provide concrete information. We use Pro/E on Linux, just not Intralink. I am just trying to help.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back