Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Cut Out aborted - Why is that?

glue

Hi there!

In the assembly mode, Im trying to remove a surface which represent the intersection between two part (a curved tube and an aircraft fuselage). For this I try to use the Cut Out component operation. However I get the following error msg:
"Cut Out aborted. It cannot be the first solid feature."
I first thought that this came from the fact that my body was the first feature I placed on my assembly, but after reorder I still have the same error msg...
Did any of you already encounter something similar?

The purpose of this operation is to have the cutout in the body .part in order to solidify the tube and remove the intersecting surface, if you have any other idea how I would be able to do so. I would be glad to know!

Thanks!

glue,

this is just a thought...

why use an assembly feature that will make the cutout a dependant feature requiring the assembly to be present? I would think a publish geometry or a copy of the surface in some manner makes more sense. The cutout works to show what you want to do, but I would rather have the feature less reliant on the assembly. I think this is the same model you showed earlier. Perhaps consider the alternatives to a cutout such as shrinkwrap or copy geometry to do the same thing? In that way you can make the parts less dependant on the assembly, and more linked to what you actually want which is the surfaces of the interfering parts. You can then use those copies to build in the material removal features you are seeking.

cheers,

M

It sounds like you are trying to perform the cutout on a part which does not contain solid geometry. Is that part empty or a surface model?

Hi all and thanks for your suggestions!

Both parts are surfaces (no thicknesses) and are of exact same accuracies (minimum value). Ive redone the tube within my body.part and surprisingly I could not "solidify-cut" the tube with respect to the body... It just didnt recognize it (?) so I had to create the intersecting curve and extrude as a cut, specifying the body as the ref quilt. now it works.
But I guess there should be a more "skilled" way to do it.

Edited by: glue

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back