Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

graphics cards

biff

Can anyone tell me if the following cards will work with wildfire versions please,
<DIV =para_small style="CLEAR: both">nVidia

Both should work.

The GeForce2Go I believe uses the same graphics driver as the other nVidia cards, which generally speaking works pretty well with Pro/E.

The FX2500M is quite the cadillac and should have the best compatibility, as well as being on the PTC approved hardware lists.

Dave

Hey Biff,

Did you use the Geforce 7900 GTX?

I am using the following with mixed results...

3dlabs Wildcat VP880 Pro...256mb. This card blitzes just about anything I've seen.

On another computer I am running two PCI-E Geforce 7600 GT...512mb combined.

Some days the Geforces are brilliant, but on any animation including mechanica they suck.

If anyone else has had any experience with Geforce graphics cards let us know how its going?

The one thing where the really expensive graphics cards will stomp the cheaper ones is when you have wireframe graphics. Plain shaded graphics, no big difference, but throw a few wireframe entities into the mix and the cheaper (GeForce) cards will start dogging. Showing an FEA analysis with the elements visible is one such case.

GeForce isn't made for CAD, they work better with gaming and rendering, I don't know the technical details but Quadro is for Professional CAD Applications and work far better with Pro-E. I've had difficulty with Non-CAD cards handling multiple windows and crashing while in the sketcher, and in assemblies. If you research it you'll find information concerning the differences between the two types of cards.

Just so everyone knows...there is only three different resistors from a Geforce to a Quadro Graphics cards. The rest is done by software.

If you went back to the geforce 6200 (or something like that), you could actually buy the resistors and convert a $200 geforce into a $2500 quadro. It never took off because Nvidia got wise to the conversion. Search the net, its still hanging around.

The best CAD graphics cards for money used to be 3dlabs. They got taken over by Creative Labs and now they only make grapics "chips" for handheld devices.

I am currently experimenting with the PCI-E cards and have found some software that can boost 3d cad performance. The only problem isthat the patch is hit and miss. Meaning if it works its great, if it does not work...2 cards down the drain.

Before I try this patch, I am going to play around more with the opengl settings. Hardcore gamers now need opengl cards for a lot of the new games coming out. Thats why most good gaming cards are now opengl compliant.

Alex,I would really like to know how these cards (8800 GTX)add-up with Pro/E.

As they have dual GPU's and lots of pipes. Pipes are important as they allow the transfer of data to be quicker. This is currently a bottleneck for pre dual gpu graphic cards.

Problem is, this where it can get expensive.

Does anyone use a Geforce 8800 or similar with dual gpu's?

I recently bought a msi gtx465 twin frozr graphics card to run
proe wildfire 2. The speed and graphics quality is great,
however proe keeps shutting down, or going to blue screen
when performing intensive modeling work, usually within
assemblies. The OS is XP32, with two xeon 3.0 processors, 3gb
memory (all xp32 will support). Anyone know if this card will
work with proe? I have tried all nvidia and msi drivers with no
success. Any suggestions on how to make it stable would be
great....quadro cards are pricey.

I appreciate any help!

I haven't tried the GTX465, but I have successfully run
all versions of ProE (up to WF5) with consumer Nvidia
boards for the past 12 years or so. I am currently using
a GT240 right now on one of my PC's. A few things to
check:

1. You need to find the correct drivers, as many of the
Nvidia releases are buggy. I can't recommend a specific
driver, as stability changes with different cards.

2. You need to be sure to remove all remnants of the
older drivers, as this can frequently cause problems. Use
something like Revo Uninstaller to remove everything
before installing new drivers.

3. Make sure that your computer RAM is working properly.
I find that faulty RAM is usually the cause of most
random blue-screens.

4. The GTX465 takes a fair amount of power, so make sure
that your power supply can handle its peak power (plus
the power requirements of the other components that you
are running).

Hello, i have a problem with my toshiba a200 notebooks
display driver. The problem is, when i start to install the
proe, the installation wizard show a crash message. and the
install will be broken.
when i plug a external monitor the monitor has vibrate on
the screen. i think thuis is the cause of the installation