Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

creating selective draft entities

khanim

Is it possible to selectively convert somecomponents in an assembly into draft entities, whilekeeping others as the same. Like having a background geometryas draft entities.

Dear Khanim,

Your exact intent is not clear. Please state what is it that you want to achieve by doing that?

You can create draft entities by selecting the geometry of some of the components (for the purpose of snapping on to and to bind the draft entities with the geometry selected).

I created a general view of an assembly. Some of the components or parts in that assembly will be serving as background geometry ( will be shown in phantom). Now instead of having the background components in the model tree. Can I select thosebackground components ( The onei am working on is a large assembly)and make them draft entities in a particular view, while not changing the other componets in that assembly. I hope this makes it clear SRINIVASANIYER1.

If I understand you correctly, you can use "sketch"/"use edge" and select edges you want to turn into phantom lines, but that can be awfully time consuming in a large assy. You will be prompted to erase lines of components and draft entities left behind can then be changed.

Tone

What may be a better option is to set the component to show as phantom.

Select View, Drawing Display, Component Display, Style, select the components to either PhantomTransparent or PhantomOpque. The components (parts and/or assemblies) will be shown in phantom. This would make it easier to modify the drawing if the assembly changes.

I need to remove the component from the model tree (i.e the assembly). I just need it in the background to show the fit-up or where and how it assembles in the next level.

I just want to understand why whould you like to make them draft entities? Draft entities as far as I know are lines, cicles, arc, sketches made in drawing. Don't know if you can make parts into draft !?!?

But I have one suggestion, if you really want to make some components "draft" you could make all these components as a shrinkwrap. First make a simplified rep with all the components you want them to be "draft", then make the simp rep active and go to "save_as" and choose as type "shrinkwrap". Use these settings:

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32 983&PN=1[/url]

Now you will have all those parts as one part.

Then go in your assembly and make another simp rep with your assembly but without all those parts you need as draft, and then assemble the shrinkwrap "default" in it. Now you will have all these parts as one

This will be the closest I can think of to a draft entity.

Rememeber that the shrinkwrap will not update if there are assy changes.

If you somehow manage to make all those parts draft in one view and remove them from model tree, I believe they will be draft only in your drawing, so when you will make a projection view from that view those components will not be shown.

I still would like to know why do you want them "draft" maybe then I could help you better if I understand why.

Dear Khanim,

I still cannot understand why you need to make them as draft entities. However if you wish to show a general assembly of a drawing already made in another drawing WITHOUT showing up in model tree, use Tools >Overlay...

But the hitch is you cannot reference the edges to create draft entities.

Hence we self and Vlad would like to know your DESIGN INTENT....

Dear Veterans,

Ok let me start again from the begining. I have a Assembly A and a Assembly B. I need to create a drawing of assembly B. In that drawing, I need to show howassemblyBis assembled to assembly A. I put assembly A into assembly B in the model tree and go into the drawing for assembly B and create the views I want. Now I would like to delete assembly A from the model tree, while having it ( shown in phantom )in the drawing. I knowthat if the lines/edges are converted to draft, then the assembly can be deleted. But draftconversion is doneto the whole view and not to individual components.

Itried to this also - hideassembly B and make thedraft entities of the viewcontaining only assembly A and then unhide assembly B. Didn't work. The drawinglost the relation to the model (i.e assembly B) and there was no model tree.

I hope this explains my Design Intent better. If not then, I dont know whether I cansimplify if more. But,thanks for the reply guys.

What you may want to do is this.

Your drawing will have 2 models in it.

1. Assembly A, there may or may not be views shown.

2. An external simplified rep of Assembly B, call it Assembly A_Ref. This would include Assembly A and any other components of Assembly B needed to show how Assembly A goes into Assembly B.

To show a BOM on the drawing, filter out anything except the components of Assembly A.

I would put a view of assembly A and a separate view of assembly B in the drawing. You can use snap to grid, view origin, etc to get them lined up. Then convert the Assembly A view to draft entities and delete the model from the drawing. A lot of work if you ask me. Is assembly A so huge that you don't want to keep it in memory? The draft entities will be a pain to work with.

OK ...Now I get it.

If you have Advanced Assembly module... use Pro/Process. Create an assembly of A & B. and the same can be shown in process steps (ASSEMBLY STEPS)where in Assembly A can be shown in Phantom to indicate that it is from a previous assembly and is shown here for reference only. NO NEED TO CREATE DRAFT ENTITIES AND THE VIEW WILL BE FULLY ASSOCIATIVE WITH ASSEMBLY "A"...

If you do not have AAX, create an assembly of A & B. Create simplified representatons and achieve the same... little tedious but can be done.

There was a discussion on the same in the forum. A search should yield an answer... Try this...

[url]http://www.mcadcentral.com/proe/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32 790&KW=srinivasaniyer1&PN=0&TPN=2 [/url]

Khanim,

Create an assembly that contains both A and B, call this C. Create views of assembly C on your drawing, outside of the drawing border. Change the display of assembly B in these views to phantom. Convert the entire view to draft entities by using the "snapshot" command. Create new views of only assembly A with the same orientation and scale as the snapshoted views.Move the draft entities representing assembly B from the snapshoted views to the live views of assembly A.The "Tools - Translate" command can be used to do this accurately by translating from a vertex of an assembly A draft entity to the corresponding vertex on a live assembly Aentity. Relate the draft entities to the assembly A views. Set the origin of the views to be at a coordinate system or other fixedlocation; if you leave the originset to the view center(default), the draft entities will move relative to the live geometry as the model changes. Delete the extra draft entities that remain outside the drawing border and delete model C from your drawing.

Andy

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back