Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Which mouse for WF2 and IL3.4

peter_hajdu

We use XP-PROf with WF2-M180 and IL 3.4.

To have more functions on the mouse and not to push that awful roller button when rotating the model on the screen we use Genius Netscroll optical with 5 buttons.

The side button is used as a Middle b. But we have mouse driver crash when opening the IL commonspace. We tried with all the available mouse drivers, but they crash.

From your experience could you offer a mouse for WF2 and IL3.4, which has a real side button (not on the top of the mouse), which is ergonomic when using all the day as a middle button?

We've had good success and very few complaints with the Logitech MX 500 Optical Mouse (Enterprise Edition).

I would definitely stay away from cordless mice if you can avoid it. We've seen instability issues with WF2, in drawings, (yeah, I know it's weird)with Microsoft's Wireless Optical mice.

Happy Hunting.

(4) out of the (5) designers here(including me) use a Logitech Cordless Click/Plus Optical Mouse with (2) programmable side buttons, and it works just fine.

Our other designer uses that god awful trackball gizmo.

About me: I use a Magellan Space mouse for rotating CAD and FEM, which makes this task smoother. But the colleagues would use the middle button on the side of te mouse.

The main problem is with Intralink 3.4. The Genius mouse driver crashes when entering to Common space.

The Logitech is troublefree?

I also checked those Logitech MX 500 and Cordless Click/Plus Optical. They have only rather small side buttons in rather high position. Do you really use them as a third button to rotate the model on the screen oryou use the roller button?

currently using: logitech

location 1: mx500 with a cord and custom modifications (took apart the scroll wheel to remove the click, now it rolls smooth with no notch features, sounds silly but after a long day its sooo nice)

location 2: mx700 cordless with a cheap usb MS backup because someone hates the battery being dead haha

issues: sometimes the model rotation is stuck and I have to click standard orientation to break it free...no idea what causes that, only happens when I switch to another application. could be a logitech driver issue...?

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back