Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Student Edition vs Commercial Version

2ms1

I've got the student edition of ProE WF3 here. I've never been quite clear on something...could someone tell me whether or not people with full versions of ProE are able to open my files? I'm sure they aren't able to modify and then save them, but are they at least able to open them to look at?

I know I am not able to even so much as open a non-student ProE file, let alone work with it/ modify it.

Is it the same the other way around -- are people with full version not even able to open/look at student files?

If so, that sucks really bad. I wish I could at least show my files that having problems withto people with experience rather than only being able to show them to other students.

I can understand locking things so people doing commercial work can't just buy the student version instead. but I don't understand not even being able to open (without ability to modify/work with)files from one another.

No , it's clearly stated for ed purpose only...your school may have some sort of translation option tho.

other than ..iges, step, and neutral file....but it's a single import feature... dumb model, no features in the model tree...better than nothing tho.

if you are a student and your UNI has ProE, then it's possible to save it so it can be opened by someone with a comercial version. Do a search for my other posts tp find out how..

JAmes

PTC has 3 version formats: Student, educational and commercial.

If i'm correct it works like follows:

The student and the educational version (for schools, research institutes etc.) can read/write each others files.

The commercial version of Pro/E can be read in the educational version, I'm notsureabout the student version.

With an additional license (edu2com license) the user of the educational version only can save the parts and assemblies in the commercial format again (basically: activate the floating module edu2com and perform a save). The availability of this license depends on the contract of the school/institute.

Let me give you guys a clue for a workaround: what if you put all ofa Pro/E part in a UDF and use that UDF in another version......?

Remmerv said:
Let me give you guys a clue for a workaround: what if you put all ofa Pro/E part in a UDF and use that UDF in another version......?

HA! does that work? Love it!

I'll try it out later!

Cheers,

James

Mapkeys and Trailfiles are cool too except from what I've seen the Educational edition no longer creates trailfiles.

Also it used to be that the Educational edition could open the Professional file but as soon as you saved it would no longer be able to be opened on the Professional version.

The main reason PTC has put the incompatibility into the product is to prevent Companies from creating trailfiles on the student edition and then running them on the Pro version. They also have a regained license server or other window that pops up when the student edition still made trailfiles to prevent them from running properly.

I guess all the restrictions I mentioned apply to the Student Version which I have now. If someone can verify that these are not put into the educational edition let me know.

Michael

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back