Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Pro/E crashed 4 times today in sketcher

rrleclair

I've been on a pro/E Hiatus for roughly 6 months as I was working in a different department at work. I'm back to using it, and Pro is back to it's old trick of vanishing into thin air. I'm running WF 2.0 M120. Today is my first day back and it's blown up 4 times today, with a repeatable occurrance. It's ALWAYS in skether mode AWAYS creating an extruded cut, ALWAYS entering in a dimension modification (dimension the sketch, then double click a dimension to edit it, POOF GONE).

Anyone run into this? I've searched previous threads with not much help and I know Pro like to bail out from time to time, but in the 6 years I've been using Pro I've never had 4 crashes in one day (other than a corrupt file).

Can anyone help before I go postal on my PC my first day back on it...? LOL
smiley18.gif

If you don't mind, post the file as well as a sketch showing us your intention and we'll try to replicate what you are doing. What's the point? Err, none, I guess. Just to see if it may be build specific perhaps.

If you can repeat it, it's normally a bug (update proe datecode).

If it's random, it's usually graphics related (update graphics drivers).

For both you can try setting config.pro option "graphics" to "win32_gdi" and restart. Slow, yes, but not so eager to crash...

It's a simple rectangle plate, .125 thick, with 4 sketched cutouts (D shaped holes for electrical connectors)... simple stuff, it just always crashes on a dimension edit in sketcher... here's where the trail file always ends:

>M PglBut ProeWin2 499 441 8 0 993 0 0 800 1280 0 0 1024 13
>M open_note_url_CB ProeWin2 499 441 8 0 993 0 0 800 1280 0 0 1024 13
>M do_nothing_CB_1 ProeWin2 499 441 8 0 993 0 0 800 1280 0 0 1024 13

EVERY TIME.
Edited by: rrleclair

I am not very well versed with the software problems, but i too have experieced the problem. although my hardware cofing was pretty good, but the problem was with the RAM,, i had a staggering 4 GB but still had the problem

at last my IT guy told me swap the RAM for a better make & it worked, now i just have 1GB but no crashes.

u ca just try it as an option..

About Sketcher Crashes..

As A long time Pro-E user I can honestly say most weird crash situations have come from simple fixes. Before you blame hardware, software and such I would try some simple things first. I.E. like start a brand new file and draw that simple rectangle and then save. draw 1 D-Shaped cut-out and see if you crash. Sometimes files become corrupt for no apparent reason and I have came accross a few as well as given them to PTC and they did not know why. Our inner hardware for our computers can just simply hick-up and cause seemingly mysterious faults.

I have seen people spend hours trying to fix or repeat something and then when I help them and just create a new file from scratch the so called "bug" does not present itself. Check your Ram allocation in your start-up link to see if it is configured to use the available ram memory. Don't have any other programs running at the same time either.

one of my employees had the same problem that you have. The problem was microsoft software for the intellimouse. If you have that installed, uninstall it and go for the standard drivers for the mouse.

My suggestion is to turn off Design Intent.

I had similar problem but as soon as I turned it off I was able to complete my scetch.

I'm currently having the same problem. The way I found around it is to use the modify icon and then pick the dimension. It sucks, but it's better than having to restart the whole process over again. I think the problem is the M120 build of Pro-E. It's what I am currently using at work. But it could also be how it was installed onto the computer. But the modify should work fine without blowing you out of Pro.

just a thought,

sometimes what causes crashes is a lingering aspect or a failed feature earlier in the model. In my config I set it to allow the old placement in case a reference is lost. I suggest you do a few checks to your part, expand your model tree to verify regeneration and do a model check. You may find a feature that is failing or lost references. Another common cause of crashes is too many details in a sketch. Another colleague of mine loves to send me the pcb in dxf with every layer. Nothing like 40,000 unique lines and details to slow things down.

maybe not what you are seeing, but just a thought...

cheers

M

Do you get any error messages at all on being dumped out? If not, it is very likely the mouse driver causing the problem - especially if you are using a Dell machine.

Remove any Intellipoint or similar mouse drivers and try again.

Best of luck.

I believe most crashes, especially while in the sketcher are usually related to the use of gaming cards instead of cad cards, you haven't mentioned what graphics cardyou're using.I had one computer that would start creating red lines where ever I moved the mouse and within moments Pro-E would exit. I tried several driver versions and never really solved the problem, only decreased how often it occured.

It is a Dell machine, Xeon 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, HID compliant mouse, NVIDIA Quadra FX 1000 video card.

It's ALWAYS in sketcher mode when I try to change a dimension. Other than that it never bails.

Have you tried un-installing the mouse driver yet? We had this same problem on two Dell machines with everything else PTC certified. Removing Intellipoint resolved the issue.

What is your hardware configuration we're seeing the exact same crashes in sketcher. We have 2 different Dell 390 configurations, one with an Nvidia FX3500 and the other has an Nvidia FX3450/4000. Our crashes only occur on the FX3450 configuration.

I had problems with Pro/E crashing on a Dell 390 with FX3450. It was due to loading the nVidia driver with the nView software for multiple virtual desktops. The solution was go to the Applications tob on the nView Desktop Manager and disable nView for the xtop (Pro/E) application. No more crashes. So I still have 3 virtual desktops but Pro/E sessions show up on all 3. Not the best but better than crashing.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back