Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

help using draft check

Tesla77

Is there a way to zero in the draft check color better so it reads a true angle instead of a color coded chart that is an estimate of the degrees?

I would like it to define a 2 deg draft as 2 deg and give it a color.

Tesla77,

When you select a draft check you can select the target draft angle on the designations tab. Then change the colors to be two colors and define whether you check from +2 to -2 in both directions, or 0-2 in one direction, for instance.

It is also possible to check a solid part in its entirety by selecting "solid geometry" from the selection drop down at the bottom of the larger pro e window. Then choose your solid part and a plane to represent the mold split plane. Works well for checking if the plastic mold pull direction causes any undercuts.

cheers...

M

magneplanar,

What I would like to know is what number do you need to put in the draft definition box to theright for a draft angle? We put .1 in the angle box and that will show any undercuts in the part. But what do I need to do to see what angles are on the part. How do I make the color grid read 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 etc... and have it give the part a color matching the scale to the part?I feel we are not using the draft check to its full potential. I wantto be able to look a draft check for a part and sayred for example is 2 deg. Blue is 5 deg. etc... Isthere a way to do this?

Thank you

Tesla77,

Getting the specific values you describe is not something I have tried. I will see what I can simulate and let you know.

I am curious why it is important? The part is plastic? One of the reasons for draft is to ease the mold release of a part. Another reason, which is actually the same but defines how much, is to accomodate texture. Do you intend to have different textures? (IE: smooth on some surfaces and textured on others of the same part.)

M

I reallydon't know how to read the plot given for the draft check. Is ProE just showing that certain areas are within a max and min specified draft angle?Here are my settings:

ANALYSIS is set to (Quick);

DEFINITION:

REFERENCES : I pick solid geometry and pick a plane which would be main parting line.

DRAFT ANGLE: I set the draft to both ways and lets say 1 deg (example)

PLOT: Plot is set to quality 10.00 and update is check marked.

SCALE:

STYLE: Color scale is set to gradient plot

SCALE: continuous

The way I have been shown is to enter .100 for the draft angle and than that will show you of any undercuts in the part per A and B half of the part details.

What do you do to get a meaningful draft check? It seems like I am not using the draft check to it's full potential.I would like to be able to draft check the part while the project engineer is standing there and tell him that there is a 2 deg draft angle on that wall or detail and that it will be ok for proper part ejection.
Edited by: Tesla77

Tesla77,

I set up a draft check to simulate what I think you want to accomplish.

-Draft angle setting: (I used 5 in my sample image, but that is arbitrary, use whatever value you want.) I usually set this to my target value, highest value works best since all other angles will be included and the top color would be the top value +/-.
-I prefer checking in both directions.
-make a mapkey to do this

if you uncheck the continuous scale setting in the color scale window you can adjust the number manually until there is enough color bands and values.

see image:

View attachment 3223

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back