Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Creating Expanded Metal

bharter

I am working in sheet metal. I have an assembly that I am creating that has expanded metal sheet incorporated within. I am attempting to model the expanded metal by creating a flat sheet (0.030" thk x 3.5" x 14") and then incorporating slot cuts into the sheet.Each cut pattern (every other row) is offset by half the slot width creating thegeometry required for the expansion. My thought was to then create an "L" shaped tool (a punch), and use the top of the "L" along the length to stretch the part and expand the material. When I attempt to perform this operation I get an error "cannot intersect part with feature"? Does anyone have any thoughts about how to successfully create this material?

By looking at the error message posted by you.....The possible thing is tht "ur Forming direction is Wrong".IF this is the case u can get it right by Flipping the Forming Direction.

....or tht " U dont have sufficient material in the Base sheetmetal to create tht Form".

Well From ur post I could make out only these two things ..

If neither of the above could solve ur problem ....I'm sorry

But i may be helpful in giving a better answer if u could attach a picture of ur sheetmetal and ur Punch.

All the Best

Sreee

Thanks for the input...The partthat I am modeling would be purchased vs. something that we would manufacture ourselves, that being said, I finally settled ongoingwith a flattened expanded sheet metal for my model. The appearance is similar and should adequately convey the design. I basically went with a flatsheet and incorporated a pattern of diamond shaped punches in it to give the proper appearance. The end result isn't too bad!View attachment 3180

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back