Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Replace component / Simplified Rep

kwillo

When I use the replace command to change a component in an assembly(eg to change a screw from M3x8 to M3x5) it appears on simplified reps where the previous component was excluded. I have to redefine each affected simplified rep to exclude it again.

Anyone know if there is a way round this. It's extremely painful to have to go through the model and exclude the components from simplified reps for a second time.

Cheers

KW

A web search for "Rule-Based Simplified Reps" might help you toward a solution.
Don't know, myself, not having tried to thoroughly digest any of it.

Look at help "To Create Simplified Representations Using Definition Rules".
<H1>To Create Simplified Representations Using Definition Rules</H1>
Each condition consists of an action and a condition name, and each condition can contain one or more rules. The conditions appear in an editable list and are executed in bottom-up order.

1. <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Click
    image35.gif
    or View > View Manager. The View Manager dialog box opens.
    <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Simp Rep is shown by default.
    Right-mouse click the specified representation and click Edit to set definition rules.
    Click Redefine. The Edit dialog box opens with the following tabs:
    <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Subbulleted>
    Include
    Exclude
    Substitute</LI>

1. <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Click
    image2.gif
    to set up rule actions. The Rule Actions dialog box opens.</LI>
The Rep Action column shows a representation action. To change the representation action, click within the column and select one of the following from the Rep Action drop-down list:
<UL>
Exclude
Master Rep
Geometry Rep
Graphics Rep
Assem Only
Symbolic Only</LI>[/list]
The Condition column lists previously defined conditions. If no conditions were defined, the column shows Undefined. To show existing conditions, click in the Condition column. Right-click in the Condition column to show the following options:
<UL>
New

Thanks for the ideas.

I can see how I might build a simplified rep using rules but in this case it's not all the screws of a particular type that I need to exclude, justa subset of them - not sure how to do that. Also I have 12 or so reps so I would have to create an individualrule in each rep as each rep represents an assembly stage(the number of excluded screws in each rep gradually decreases as the build progresses).Nightmare!

What I need is just to be able to automatically replace a component in a simplified rep when it isreplaced in the master rep.

Might want to give replacing it using Pro/Program a shot. Not sure how the reps are affected when doing this but worth a try.
All you need to do is go into the program and find the add component with that name and replace it and execute it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back