Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Remote Pro-E operation

Canners

Hi,

I am UK based and working with assemblies which are resident on a server in Norway. I have my own installation of Pro-e locally on a high end Laptop. All the files I work with have to be opened and saved to the Noway server location Currently I am uploading these files via 2mb ADSL conection (at best achieving 1mb speeds in reality) The files assembly files take the best part of an hour to load up which is very frustrating.... When I am in Norway and load them up they take about a minute !!! This is really frustrating me as I am UK based permenantly.

One option we are exploring is working remotely vie remote desktop or through a Citrix session with a dedicated workstation in Norway which I commence a remote terminal session to, Now the file loads up really quickly but onecannot do anything with it as operating the application is now ridiculously slow. This we think is because OpenGL is not supported through RD and Citrix......

Does anybody know of any software that will help with this problem ?????

Does anybody have any other ideas to improve my workability ???

Many thanks

Have you considered to set up two intralink databases and run replication between them over night?

We do not use Intralink..........but have considered mirroring the servers but its a very expensive solution.

What sort of cost would this be "ballpark" using Intralink ?

Well, I have managed to find some graphics software called "HP Remote Graphics" which allows the pro-e application software to be able to be used as if it was installed on your local desktop.

Only thing is its reliant upon bandwidth 100mb (normal network speed) works perfectly.... Over a 2mb ADSL line there is a 3 or 4 second delay issuing commands and refreshing within Pro-e but thats some progress. If anyone has any other ideas would be most grateful to hear them

Thanks

I once tried to demonstrate our models to the customer remotely. In that case I believe we used NetMeeting.

It would not work until I changed the config.pro option GRAPHICS. The default, opengl, was not compatible with NetMeeting. Try the different options for GRAPHICS when running a Citrix session.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back