Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

holes in cylinder distort i n the flat

alvarezg

I need to put holes in a cylindrical SM part and then create a dimensioned flat pattern. The holes distort slightly when the part is flattened so they no longer have centers to dimension to.

Is it possible to put some sort of locating mark in the cylindrical state that will carry over to the flat? The idea is to use the marks to either create the hole in the flat or to at least have something to dimension to.

Thanks

That would be a laborious process to calculate, since there are many holes and their location is already defined as an angular offset. I would prefer to let the software do the work for me. If it were possible to put a location marker in the formed state that would carry over to the flat, then it would be easy to make the holes in the flat. Is this asking for the impossible:)

Hi

please clarify one point :- are you creating the holes in sheetmetal as an extrude feature? If you are all should be well when yo make the flat pattern. If you are doing this try playing around with the two righ hand buttons on the sheetmetal dashboard. The second in from the right gives 'remove material normal to the surface'

the right hand button gives a drop down menu which gives the options 'remove material normal to the offset surface' - 'remove material normal to the direction surface' - 'remove material both normal to the offset and direction surface'

hope this helps

regards

Richard

One way we use to create axes through holes wehich have been made in the formed state to be shown in the flat state is to put a datum curve acrooss the vertices of the hole's edges, add a mid-point datum point and then create a datum axis through the point. A bit time consuming if you've got a lot of holes. The hole would be exptected to deform on flattening as it would on forming if you'd put the hole in the flat state sheet.

Phil

Richard's reply sounds like something I could really use...but I don't see the options mentioned. Normal to the surface sounds perfect. Reminder: the part is cylindrical- no bends, no flanges. I am using WF2.

1. By extrude feature do you mean the non-sheetmetal extrude or the <<SMT-Class Cut Solid>>?

2. What/where is the sheetmetal dashboard?

Sorry to appear so retarded; none of us here could find those options.

Thanks,

Gene

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back