Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Constraints tangent and align

nilsy

I am trying to let a ball rest on top of a spring as shown below. However, when I try to apply a tangent constraint and align the parts at the same time, I get the error message "Constraints Invalid." I want the axes to line up so that the ball does not "swallow" a part of the spring. I have tried to align the parts using datum planes as well, but with no success. Why are the constraints incompatible? How can I make it work? -- Thanks.

View attachment 3008

I don't think you can make the spring and sphere coaxial and simultaneously tangent between their surfaces. If you must make them coaxial, I suspect that you will only be allowed a tangency beween the sphere and the ending edge of the spring. Then, to make it fully constrained,the only remaining constraint would be the orientation with respect to yourFRONT datum.

I think by looking at your picture that you can try to make an align between the axis and a mate /offset with respect to TOP datum. I think it will work if you don't need the spring to be flexible, if you need the spring flexible then unless you write a relation for that offset the ball will be hanging in the air.

I've done this in ProE2001, but only managed by creating datum curves on ball and spring. This was done while at a different company, so I don't have the model at hand. I remember I had a datum circle created as a section curve between base datum plane and ball surface that could be made tangent to the end circle of the spring. The rest is aligning datum planes.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back